Buying microphones from US

Joner Jones

hello, recently I have been looking into getting a real microphone (so far i have only been able to afford a cheap pack of drum mics to make all my recordings). And after searching Ebay, it sometimes appears cheaper to buy from USA sellers (I'm from the UK), also the microphone I really want (CAD M179) is only sold by US sellers CAD*M179+WARRANTY*Variable-Patte?rn Large Diagphram Condenser Mic M-179 FREE2DAY 631922101102 | eBay

On most of these, it mentions 'Customs services and international tracking provided' and gives the amount of postage and 'import charges' upfront, which when added up, still comes to less money than buying it from the UK. My question is, am I likely to find myself with any hidden fees/charges when ordering from these sellers?

Thanks!

Joner

Hey.
I'm also from UK and get hit with substantial import charges most of the times I order from US.
They also charge a holding fee for 'looking after' your parcel while you wait for the letter, but that might not apply if you're paying it upfront.
I didn't realise that was an option!

I don't really know that mic but is it worth it? Google hits are all 'best sub $200 mics' etc.
I'd just get a rode nt1a or an mk219 of ebay UK!

Here's what we found for "What are import charges?"[ Previouspage ]

Buyers pay import charges (including tax and customs fees) when purchasing items from another country. Import charges are generally based on the item's price, shipping weight, dimensions, country of origin, and taxes, duties, and fees of the destination country.

Some listings show an estimated import charge because the seller is in our Global Shipping Program, which lets buyers pay the import charge up front and receive items faster. The import charge in a listing is only an estimate that's based on the current or maximum bid, current Best Offer or counteroffer, or Buy It Now price. The actual import charges you'll pay will be shown at checkout.

Buying an item through the Global Shipping Program

Have fun reading all the details.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems quite safe to buy as long as I see the global shipping program then.

My reasons for choosing the CAD m179 are:

-After searching I found it to be the most widely favoured in its price range across a number of forums.
-Variable polar pattern.
-I've used the sE2200 before and it's a bit too 'sizzly'

But I'd love to hear anyone elses opinions on this, it's a very important purchase for me as I can rarely afford new equipment.

With postage, VAT and customs charges you'd typically reckon that $1 US roughly equals £1. I've never used that eBay feature you mention myself, being a rather recent addition to eBay payments. If buying used VAT shouldn't apply and some sellers on the other side of the pond may specify the contents as "gift" on their discretion - never ask to have somebody do this for you.

Back