Buying first keyboard

iravage

Hey, I want to get a keyboard mainly just because i want to learn a new intrument, but i would use it for recording, and maybe bring it to a band practice just to mess around. My budget is $200.00. i don't really know much about the specs of a keyboard but the Yamaha PSR282 seemed to be a good choice because it had drum kits and the digitial effects that the other keyboards in that range didn't have. Is this a good keyboard? or do you think theres somthing else better for around 200.00.
Thanks....
Andrew

I can't imagine being happy with one of those.

If your budget is $200 you should opt for a used keyboard from eBay or a consignment from your local music store.

Otherwise, save a little more and get something else. There is a real diversity among Yamaha keyboards. Some are fantastic and others are more like toys.

I would stay away from Yamaha until you get a clear idea of what to avoid. Go with Roland or Korg for your first time out. Again, you won't be able to get anything brand new for that price, but you should be able to get a quality used peice.

;)

Krakit, can you recomend a keyboard by korg or roland, im looking on the sites and there are so many different kinds of roland products, most of them arent even keyboards, i dont think. i dont know what any of the specs mean.Maybe you or somone could inform on what to look for on a keyboard.
Thanks!
-Andrew

Let's narrow it down a little.

Give me a list of the three most important qualities you want in your keyboard.

I'll compile some suggestions from that.
:D

hmm...
effects and wierd sounds - one
have some drum sound -two
and at least 61 keys - three
again i really dont know much about what a keyboard should have...

Make sure you are aware of the difference between a keyboard, workstation, and a synth! The word 'keyboard' just gives me the chills and makes me think about stupid drum-rythms with 'auto-accompainment' chords and bass. The only way that sounds good is if it sounds extremely cheesy and it's all over the place, and that for no longer than 3 minutes unless you're playing it yourself and laughing your @ss off.

Just had to say that. :D
Get a synth if you want weird sounds. DON'T get a 'keyboard'. If you want drums to play along, without the need to sequence from your computer, get a workstation. If you want to play all sorts of stuff, piano's, organs, whatever, get some 'keyboard' (aaaaaarrrrrrr...) with sample-playback, but WITHOUT that silly drum-and-rythm-play-along stuff.

Think you could kick in a few hundred more?

You can start to enter some real quality Korg and Roland synths in the $500 range.

Would you like me to suggest some used stuff instead?

Hey, ya, im sure i could find some roland and korg synths on ebay for cheaper, and if you have ideas for used synths let me know as well. What is the difference between a synth and a keyboard? can i still get a piano type sound with a synth?
thanks guys!
-Andrew

The difference is blurred, but you could say that a keyboard has fixed sounds, while a synth is programmable.

>can i still get a piano type sound with a synth?

Yes, although not all synths have piano sounds.

Your list of what you want is this:
>effects and wierd sounds - one
>have some drum sound -two
>and at least 61 keys - three

Says nothing about piano sounds there... ;)

Hey, if you have a relatively new computer you could go for a midi controller (evolution mk at $100) and roland virtual sound canvas (you could score this for under $50 if you look hard. Check out PG musics website for a special deal on this software)

This will give you everything you specified except for the 61 keys, the evolution only has 49 but has pitch shift and a modulator plus a numeric display, volume, etc. You get the following from sound canvas:

"The Roland Virtual Sound Canvas software will turn your Pentium or 6X86 based PC and 16 bit sound card into a complete musical instrument. With the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas software you will be able to play up to 16 instruments simultaneously from a palette of 354 different sounds. The VSC550W software also gives you 9 different drum kits as well as sound effects and digital signal processing like reverb, chorus and delay"

You can edit these sounds also (I think the editor might cost an extra $30 though) The latency is low enough that it isn't annoying. You will be much better of with this than a cheap yamaha or casio. You can easily use it with any midi sequencer like cakewalk, logic, etc. (your sound card may already have an interface) Plus you can use your midi controller with other programs like fruity loops or with sound modules if you decide to expand your gear inventory. A con is it's not portable (unless you are willing to lug your computer with you.)

just my 2 cents.

Go to your local pawn shop. I did and I got a yamaha dx7 for 125.00 us. A korg dw8000 for 150.00.

The synths we salivated over in the 80s are cheaper than dirt now. they still sound the same

A good rule of thumb is If it has a built in speaker ITS A TOY!:cool:

Hey Krakit , since we are on the subject of synth's, I have a question. Which synth would you prefer, the Roland XP-10 ($500), or the Yamaha S03 ($500)? Your input is welcomed and thanked.

Back