buying component bundle question

monkeyboy32

I posted this in the Newbie forum, but was hoping to also maybe to get a good answer here:

I'm in the preliminary research for building my own home recording system and wanted to get some suggestions on good components that won't cost me a second mortgage on the house. Here's the details:

I want to integrate this with my current PC. Here are my specs:

Dell Comuter w/ Windows XP Home edition
Intel 2.4 Ghz CPU
512 MB RAM
Single 40 Gig HD
CD-RW Drive 40/32R/24RW (?, approx. specs for CD-ROM)
EIDE/PCI busus

. . . That's probably all you need to know. I'm looking for a sound card/a-d converter/multi-tracking software bundle that won't cost me too much without totally sacrificing my sound quality. My front runner (at least the package I most know about) is the Digi 001/Pro Tools bundle. Am I going in the right direction here, or is there a better product in about the same price range? My only requirement so far is that I want to record several live analog tracks at once, minumum 8 inputs. Also, this doesn't necessarily NEED to be a bundled package; maybe some of you out there have had good results with components from differnet manufactures. . . if so, please tell me!

Also, am I better off (given the above setup) using a stand-alone multi-input mic preamp without a phyical mixer (using the software one instead), or am I better off using a mixer with built-in mic preamps? Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward a SMPro Audio SM PR8 Eight-Channel Mic Pre-Amp. What do ya think?

Thank you for any input you can give me.

Back