Buying an iMac and in need of some clarification

Simian Drunk

Hi everyone, I am new the world of interfaces and computers. About to buy a computer and don't want to make a mistake with what I purchase. I am looking at the iMac with 2.9ghz, i5 or should I upgrade that to 3.1 ghz i7? Going with the 16 gig of ram over the 8 gig and going with the 1TB fusion drive over with what comes standard. Will this be fine for doing up to 16 tracks simultaneous? And my last question is, what are people's opinions on reason over logic? Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help.
Cheers

More ram is good; macs love more ram. I have 12gb in mine and have no problem.

As with any daw, you want multiple drives for maximum performance.
Os, apps and plugins on boot drive
Sample libraries on separate drive.
Audio tracks and projects on separate drive.

My iMac laughs at 16 tracks. I tested out with 36 and it's running less than 10%cpu.
The only thing that will tax it is if you start running massive greedy plugins (and you can grind any computer doing that)

Logic is a great sequencer, but they all do roughly the same thing. I use Reaper, but it's up to you to find which apps workflow works for you.

I do more than 16 tracks simultaneous with plugs and synths with a 10 year old PC at low latency.I would hope almost any decent new computer should handle that.

I just assumed CPUs weren't an issue anymore.:confused:

Back