buying a vocal booth

Hep D MC

after lookin at the diff options for booths (ghetto diy, ghetto foam on a frame, clearsonic, whisperroom, etc) i figured if imma get one might as well get a good one. im about to start a new job where i'll be making decent money so i decided to go for one in the $2-3g price range. i searched vocal booth in google and the top 3 i'm lookin at r soundsuckers dot com, whisperroom, and vocalbooth dot com.

now my question is would a 4x4 booth b good enough for 1 person to record vocals? and r ne of the 3 brands im lookin at better than the other?

here's my top choice: vocal booth The Silver Series Special - $2599
4x4.png

Special includes: Wall-to wall interior acoustic foam, heavy exterior fabric, active ventilation, light, cable port, 3’x3’ window and freight. (Optional door window, add $210)

Sound Suckers $2688
3pointdoorlatch.jpg

The Standard Model is basic
package that comes complete
with 1'x2' window in door,
ventilation system, and interior
lighting.

Whisperroom $2690 (otional wall window shown)
photo564B.jpg

Door window, lights(1), cable passages(2),
foam sheets(4), ventilation units(1)

4x4 is plenty of room for a single vocalist, but don't plan on anyone bringing a guitar in.

Vocal booth posts are all over the place and for what it is worth, they are not worth the money. You can have a bigger custom booth built by a carpenter for much less.

Take the specs of one of the booths you like, modify them to taste and hand the plans over to a carpenter. (Be sure to look up on line some ideas for an isolated fan.) Have the carpenter either a) build the walls out of MDF or b) make the walls so that the interior floor area is 4'6" x 4'6" and then add Owens Corning 703 and foam to the walls and ceiling, thus giving you the 4 x 4 floor space you want. Add any extras you want (windows need to be either double or triple paned, microphone attachment box, etc.) and there you are. I'm guessing it would cost you $1200 maximum and you would have a booth that will be at minimum as good as the $2400 booths if not better.

Hope this helps,

-LFO

vocal booths

I'm an Irish piano vocalist working full time in norway and just bought a house with my norwegian girlfriend,she's lovely,

We have a stable nearby for my girl's horses and we thought about dividing it as it is a solid concrete structure in a field( a dream to record in terms of feeling unrestricted) but i don't think the horses would take kindly to the sounds of my late night creative bursts,
So I gotta to set up a studio in the house,
I feel a ready made vocal booth is the only option for me,
Norwegain houses are 97% wooden so sound proofing floor, walls and ceiling in a big room seems the more costly option when the main thing for me is to be able to free and unrestricted when singing at top volume,

First of all carpenters get paid more than dentists in Norway so its probably cheaper for me to import a booth from the u.k or the u.s,

Really would like to hear from someone who has one or had at one point,
Is the noise reduction significant,

And more importantly, can one really create the illusion of a bigger space by FX when really you are just singing in a closet,

All replies welcome,
I'll tell you all about Norwegian Piano bars if you want
and if you wanna play piano in Norway,
(Money's very good)
Let me know I'll help you out if i can,
Well I'm irish so we can just talk about anything,
But the above mentioned would be a priority,

A friend of mine purchased a booth similar to one you have a picture of on top. He bought it from sound suckers. its a 4x4 with a 3x3 window, jack panel and ventilation system. It is really nice. The only problem we had is our mic (sony c800g) was actually picking up the noise from the fan. So we cannot have it turned on during recording. So it tends to get stuffy in there. Some of the artists compained of not even air / oxygen in there during recording.

Other then that, the booth is kick ass. 4x4 is more then enough room for 1 person. We actually have 2 mic setups in there to choose from.

I hope i was able to help.

-Dj Orbit

djorbit007 said:
A friend of mine purchased a booth similar to one you have a picture of on top. He bought it from sound suckers. its a 4x4 with a 3x3 window, jack panel and ventilation system. It is really nice. The only problem we had is our mic (sony c800g) was actually picking up the noise from the fan. So we cannot have it turned on during recording. So it tends to get stuffy in there. Some of the artists compained of not even air / oxygen in there during recording.

Other then that, the booth is kick ass. 4x4 is more then enough room for 1 person. We actually have 2 mic setups in there to choose from.

I hope i was able to help.

-Dj Orbit

thanks. i think im either gonna go with the vocalbooth.com or soundsuckers. do u happen to have any audio clips (preferably raw vocals) recorded in ur friends booth?

Back