Buying A Used ADAT - Need Advice

copper96

I am debating on upgrading my current home recorder to a used adat. I was looking at the blackface model because I am on a small budget. Is there anything I should know about the advantages/disadvantages of this model, besides the unbalanced jacks, over anyother model of adats or comparable units? And is there any mixing counsel anybody has used for 8 track recording that knocked their socks off?

well, the blackface are 16bit, the mechanics arent as good but i did hear that they can be modified. if it works good, and the price is fair it might be worth it. how many hours are on the drum, to see this hold SET LOCATE and then press STOP,(thats how it works on my lx-20 so im just assuming). and as for a mixer try the mackie 1604.
Jal

[This message has been edited by jal (edited 01-05-2000).]

Hey Copper 96:

When it comes to electronic gear, I only LIKE NEW STUFF. You don't know if someone spilled a Coors down the Adat or if it went up in a space shuttle. With competition as fierce as it is in the music business, I'd use the 800 numbers and shop for the best price on a NEW UNIT that has been checked into so you know it will do what you need to do.

Keep twiddling the dials,

Green Hornet

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a blackfaced ADAT a few weeks ago and think I got a pretty good deal on it. I paid $500 for it. It had 484 hours on the head and version 4.03 software. It has worked wonderful so far. And it is somewhat of a "historic" piece. The man who I bought it from said it was used to mix Alanis Morrisette's 1st. hit album. He could be full of crap though.

I just record for fun purposes right now. Just as a hoby, so searching for good deals on used stuff is all part of the fun for me. Right now I have a $3500 worth of gear at new prices that I got for around $2000 and it functions perfectly. If I would get into recording as a profession, I would deffinately go with new gear.

She does suck, but it is somewhat interesting knowing a huge radio hit was recorded with this little box I have in my studio.

Back