Buying a new computer.... are these specs OK?

blase40

I will be buying a new computer shortly, I plan to use it solely for recording purposes. I have included a link that has the detailed specs. I'm just seeking a bit of insight as to whether or not this will be sufficient. I plan to start off using a Tacam US-224 and using Adobe Audition 1.5. Please let me know of anything I should further investigate, or if anything is not up to par. Thanks!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=714279&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

so much i could say. read the amd 64 thread in the recording and soundcards section. and search under my name for lots of tips.
my recommendation. amd athlon "white box" clone, 512 ram, two 7200
rpm 8 mb cache hard drives. (not huge ones,). make sure you get an overspeccd power supply.

IMHO....for what it's worth.

keep reading these posts is all I can say. I've learned so much already. Since I'm new also, I've followed some of the advice given and it's really helped me out.

anything over 2ghz processor should work fine.
minimum 512mg ram
64mg video card
1 HDD for operating System and software= 40gig is plenty
1 or 2 HDD's for file/recording storage = 200gig each
1 cdrw to back-up all the good recordings

*** good audio/sound card = read the other posts on what kind and stay away from on-board audio if possible.

I think the trick is to keep you system to a minimum, but powerful enough to handle lots of open windows/applications.

stay away from USB if you can.

keep bus traffic to a minimum, look for on-board LAN.

I'm running a dual 600 xeon w/ 512 ram and 2 HHD's. The only thing that I do plan on getting is a nice audio board (delta 66, maybe? can't wait to get a real sound board!!!). Mayb up one of the HDD's to something bigger??

about the biggeest issue I have is recording to CD-RW. with recording / audio software running my copies come out choppy. I just send them to my laptop and then burn them.

Back