Buying a new card

sonnylarsen

My band is opting to take our meager savings from gig earnings and spend it on a good soundcard to do our own recording. They are leaning on me quite a bit to set it all up since I have the most home-recording experiance in the group. We are going to get a card with 24/96 capability and at least 10 ins/outs.

I would like to know what card you would recommend for this and why. Right now we are looking at the Delta 1010 or maybe a C-Port. It will be on a 1ghz machine with 352mgs of RAM running XP Pro.

Thanks alot,
Sonny

Note that the Delta1010 only has 8 analog inputs. Two of its 10 inputs are SPDIF. I believe that the C-port is an 8 input card as well (but don't quote me on that).

Do you need 10 analog inputs? That's kind of a cruddy number because everything usually comes in eights! If you have a couple channels of SPDIF that you're recording, though, then this might not pose a problem.

Slackmaster 2000

Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall are my recommendations. Both 8 I think, but that will probably be the standard for this kind of interface.

i use Midiman- Audiophile 24/96. i only use it for recording one channel at a time and i dont use midi. BUT, for what i need it for I am sooo happy with it. ive heard one horror story after the other about soundcards not being compatible with the computer, pops, clicks, this and that - i just plugged mine in and recorded. so any card in the audiophile delta series is probably a good way to go. but first decide what you need and then select the right midiman soundcard that fits you. audiophile is the cheapest one i think.

Well, thanks for the comments so far. What I need is to be able to record a minimum of 8-10 tracks simultaneously, to record the drums well. I dont HAVE to have 10, but I thought if I could get 10 that would be cool cause the guitar player will be playing along with the drummer anyway, I figured I could record him too and save some time, but thats not really important. Are there any issues w/ Delta or C-Port in XP?

Back