Buying a Mixer?

Premier

Im looking into buying a mixer, and how much they cost etc. My friend who is very knowledgable about this sort of stuff told me not to buy crap, and apparently behringer is crap? Im looking at getting 12 chanels if need be, but preferably 16. If anybody could give me some pointers that would be great. I have a feeling my friend is biased towards not buying cheap stuff since he uses such good equipment (Im talking he has a SSL Console, eand various allen and heath's just lying around...haha) So mabye behringer to him blows..but for me it would be good? Cheers guys.

I use a 16 channel Mackie CR 1604VLZ that I picked up cheap used. I looked around and compared prices and specs and Mackie really kicks some ass. It's nice for 8 track recording since you can bounce tracks and do your mixdown without having to repatch, as well as good for live sound IMO. I've had more bad experiences with Behringer gear than good- but little of either.

There's no question that Behringer isn't exactly the cream of the crop. That said, using one of the their mixers isn't going to make everything you do sound like crap (though I'm sure you can find someone who'll insist otherwise ;) ). It will probably slightly noisy - probably nothing you'll notice until you've developed better ears - and its more likely to break than other makes.

If you can afford better, and/or intend to use it for a while, save up for something better. If you're really trying to get a home studio up and running quickly, and need to buy a bunch of components on a small budget, go ahead and get the Behringer.

Theres a difference between a good mix and a quality recording. A good mix can be obtained on just about any companies mixer. A high quality recording has quiet preamps and no hiss etc.

I partially agree with SamIam89, ("Theres a difference between a good mix and a quality recording.") except I don't believe a great mix or recording thereof can be done with just any mixer- it has to be a high quality low noise mixer. What might sound good to your ear might end up sounding awful on tape as we all know. (I've got some old band videos that were great shows but didn't translate well to VHS....this is probably due to the cheesy mic used on the camera) With the advance of technology, high quality doesn't necessarily automatically mean high price anymore. Of course, there are always going to be Cadillacs as well as Chevys, but just like some cars do the same job nearly identically despite what cost level they are so too are most other things. This is a bit overgeneralized of course, but you get what I mean.
I still stick with Mackie- they are used in a lot of production for TV as well as recording studios and live sound, and the price vs. features is awesome! http://www.mackie.com

bigwillz24 said:
Well if he has allen and heaths just lying around why not offer him some money for one of them...
I will gladly pay you tuesday for an Allen and Heath today....LOL
If they're just laying around he COULD just let you use one since he isn't....Please??

nope, the allen and heath all get used every once and a while so no luck there. Same with the roland and the tascam and the alesis. So im out of luck. Lets say I have 400$ canadian, what are my options.

read the fine print

i'm a newbie and i learned the hard lesson that just because the box says "24 channel mixer" doesn't necessarily mean its a 24 channel mixer. i have a behringer mx2442A (bought 350 bucks referbrished). it actually has 16 mono inputs (mic inputs) and 8 stereo inputs. i'm still not sure what to do with the stereo inputs. but i digress, figure how many mono inputs you need and just pick a mixer and read the manual online before you purchase it.i like my berri mixer but as mentioned above i don't think i really know what a good mixer sounds like.

I've only used a 6 channel Behringer, a roland, and my mx24 behringer. The difference was the 6 channel behringer was like 150$, the roland was I think 700$ and my mx24 was 350$. They sound almost identical. Without any preamps the roland had a lot less natural noises than the two behringers. So I guess if you're gonna be doing what I am. Just having fun making music not thinking about making a career out of it. Get the Behringer.

About the 24 channel mixer not being 24 channels, just count the faders before you buy. That eliminates all of the stere stuff doubling the channel count.

That's about 340 american dollars. (I used one of thoose free currency calculators).

I have an E.V. 24 channel mixer that I could sale to you, I'd put it up on ebay or whatever so we'd have a legally binding contract (to protect both of us). But even if I sold it to you for $350 (american) the shipping would kill you, I'd suspect that it'd be atleast $100 (american) to ship it up there to you.....

Here's a pic of mine (sorry it's blurry, I was standing on a swivel chair that wouldn't stop swiveling). Maybee you could find one used in your area? It's a great mixer and I haven't had any problem out of mine.

rec001.jpg

Back