Buying a DR-40. Is there anything I Should know about it?

Endorya

Just making sure I do the right choice.
Objective: Record Foley sounds in combination with a Rode NTG2 shotgun.

Please, tell me all bout it :D

Thank you.

Hi Endorya, tudo bem ?

I don't know if is too late for some information, but I have a DR-07KMII and now I got a DR-40.

Both are great machines. I got the DR-40 mainly because I need the overdubbing without mixing and I got a super deal at Amazon for just $91. I use it more with voice and guitar and sometimes with movies.

One important thing I can tell you, it is about the balanced inputs. It really needs a balanced mic or whatever, if the source is not balanced you get a noise and it is noted at TASCAM website, DR-40, FAQ.

Other than that everything is great, easy to use, and so.

Um abraço

Hi Endorya, tudo bem ?

I don't know if is too late for some information, but I have a DR-07KMII and now I got a DR-40.

Both are great machines. I got the DR-40 mainly because I need the overdubbing without mixing and I got a super deal at Amazon for just $91. I use it more with voice and guitar and sometimes with movies.

One important thing I can tell you, it is about the balanced inputs. It really needs a balanced mic or whatever, if the source is not balanced you get a noise and it is noted at TASCAM website, DR-40, FAQ.

Other than that everything is great, easy to use, and so.

Um abraço

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

I'm planning to get the Roland R26 instead. It seems it has better preamps and 2 pairs of stereo mics, 1 omnidirectional and 1 directional. My only concern with the DR40 are the preamps and no being able to record sound from every direction, which means I would need to get an extra mic for that job. At the moment I'm figuring out where the cheaper Roland R26 is, maybe I will order it from Thomann.

PS: Are you portuguese?

Obrigado e fica bem!

Hi,

Well I would say Roland R26 is a different category of recorder, also more than double price. I followed some of yours posts on MICs forum here and understand that for your application it makes sense and will work better than DR-40.

I'd like to add something about the balanced input of DR-40 that may interest others readers. On TASCAM web site says that a "Helicopter like" noise can happens if a unbalanced device is connect to DR-40. It is true but can easily solved with a directed box converting the unbalanced to balance like the Pyle PDC21, from $8 to $13. I use it to connect my guitar and works great.

PS: I live in Florida but I'm from Brazil.
Tudo de bom para você ! Feliz Natal e Feliz Ano Novo !

Hi,

Well I would say Roland R26 is a different category of recorder, also more than double price. I followed some of yours posts on MICs forum here and understand that for your application it makes sense and will work better than DR-40.

I'd like to add something about the balanced input of DR-40 that may interest others readers. On TASCAM web site says that a "Helicopter like" noise can happens if a unbalanced device is connect to DR-40. It is true but can easily solved with a directed box converting the unbalanced to balance like the Pyle PDC21, from $8 to $13. I use it to connect my guitar and works great.

PS: I live in Florida but I'm from Brazil.
Tudo de bom para você ! Feliz Natal e Feliz Ano Novo !

I'm glad to know that the Roland is indeed better for what I plan to record. :)

PS: I only celebrate my marriage and my wife's birthday but I wish you to have a long and prosperous life with the company of your beloved ones.

Thank you!

Back