Buy the SM57 or the Sennheiser MD 421

rtzstudios

What would you spend $100 on... a brand new SM57 (with a few bucks leftover) or a used (that is WELL USED) Senn. MD 421? Although the 421 is beat to hell it still works like a charm, so that is probably what I'll go for....or should I not for some reason? Let me know.

what mics do you currently have, what will you be using this mic for? thats a pretty good price for a 421.

Yeah, you can always get a 57 at that price. I'd say get the 421 (how "beat to hell" is it?), for no other reason than you might not be able to later.

If you plan to record drums you will probably wanna pick up a couple of 421s at some point, so take it now once it is in perfect working order and save a couple bucks. Unless of course you need a 57 straight away.

I currently own an AT 4033, 2 SCM 900's, 2 SM57's, and 3 Shure unidyne B's. I will mainly be using it for drums and standup bass. By "beat to hell" I mean it's a little scuffed up on the casing, the black paint on the grille is wearing off and the grille has a dent in it. It's not necessarily asthetically pleasing but it works just fine! 421 here I come!!! :)

Back