Buy Old Juno 2 or new Korg Electribe?

Bobsleigh

Help a total newbie!

I have to choose between the two. The analogue Roland juno at about 300$, the electribe ea-1 @ 350$.

Will be used mostly for weird pads and extreme leads, in a Grandaddy/Pavement-like setting.

I've heard that the Juno is hard to edit and has very limited live tweaking abilities (fx-wise), while the electribe is tweak heaven but may be on the tame side soundwise. Any experiences with the two?

or should i go with a sampler? will the old akai 1000 play back both drum loops and synth sounds at the same time?

Any feedback appreciated!

Honestly, Id say get neither.
The electribe only has 2 voices and no lfo
the alpha juno 2 is good if you make techno and want the "vacuum cleaner" sound, but its really not a great synth, in fact $300 is too much to pay for one.

Id check out:
oberheim matrix 6
Yamaha an1x(a little more)
Roland juno 106
sequential circuits prophet 600
nord micro modular

something to keep in mind is that old synths are a pain in the ass. IfI were you I'd save till I could get a clavia nord micro modular, though that machine doesnt hae a keyboard. Otherwise get an an1x, gy yamaha or a korg ms 2000.

If you can find a bit more money the waldorf micro q is incredible.

Just do me a favor, dont get an electribe unless you just want basslines, also dont get a friggin alpha juno 2 for $300 thats a rip off. Its digitall controlled analog anyways, and its filter pales compared to theearlier rolands like juno 106 and jupiter 8. Id take a look for an oberheim matrix 6, and remember you can keep expanding it with the small matrix 1000 and it behaves as 1 unit, so for $200 more you'd have 12 voices. It has no knobs though, but thats why its affordable.

Also great for pads and bass are fm synths like the tx81z by yamaha wich aint much more than $90 off ebay. And korg wavestation is also cool.

Back