Buy Of The Year

Snowman999

Max Steiner is the #1 composer in film history. His biggest score is Gone With The Wind. But, he also did Casablanca, Now Voyager, and a few hundred others. If you're into old films, you know the name.

One of my favorite films City For Conquest stars James Cagney. His brother played by Arthur Kennedy is a struggling classical musician, who ends up writing a symphony. It's my favorite piece of music, and it's written by Steiner.

For some reason I looked up on ebay if his autograph was for sale. One popped up. But, it was worded oddly "Signed "R.K.O. Traveling Husband music by Max Steiner, Humphrey Pearson words". Who signed it? That first name is not MAX. The last name looks like it starts with an L. I wrote the seller asking who signed it. They didn't respond.

I looked up an authenticated Max Steiner autograph, and it doesn't look like his name either. But, it is. The amazing part is, the M and ST in this and the authenticated are almost exact. Whoever signed that, signed this. The authenticated sold for over $900 at auction. This had a BUY IT NOW for $5.99 with free s/h. This is the description -
This collectible music score is a must-have for any music enthusiast. With a signature from the artist, it's a rare and valuable item that will make a great addition to any collection. Produced in the United States, this piece has a unique history that sets it apart from other collectibles. Whether you're a serious collector or just a fan of music, this signed score is sure to impress. It's perfect for display in your home or office, and will be a conversation starter for years to come. Don't miss out on the opportunity to own this piece of music history.
Why would you give this description and then sell it for $6? Since, s/h was free, it was at least $4.13 for shipping. Ebay takes a cut of the $6. This person sold an autograph worth hundreds for a few pennies.

It came and it's real. Someone at facebook told me why the first name looks odd, he signed it Maxie not Max. This is early in his career.
1707794511438.png1707794935628.png

Max Steiner is the #1 composer in film history. His biggest score is Gone With The Wind. But, he also did Casablanca, Now Voyager, and a few hundred others. If you're into old films, you know the name.

One of my favorite films City For Conquest stars James Cagney. His brother played by Arthur Kennedy is a struggling classical musician, who ends up writing a symphony. It's my favorite piece of music, and it's written by Steiner.

For some reason I looked up on ebay if his autograph was for sale. One popped up. But, it was worded oddly "Signed "R.K.O. Traveling Husband music by Max Steiner, Humphrey Pearson words". Who signed it? That first name is not MAX. The last name looks like it starts with an L. I wrote the seller asking who signed it. They didn't respond.

I looked up an authenticated Max Steiner autograph, and it doesn't look like his name either. But, it is. The amazing part is, the M and ST in this and the authenticated are almost exact. Whoever signed that, signed this. The authenticated sold for over $900 at auction. This had a BUY IT NOW for $5.99 with free s/h. This is the description -
This collectible music score is a must-have for any music enthusiast. With a signature from the artist, it's a rare and valuable item that will make a great addition to any collection. Produced in the United States, this piece has a unique history that sets it apart from other collectibles. Whether you're a serious collector or just a fan of music, this signed score is sure to impress. It's perfect for display in your home or office, and will be a conversation starter for years to come. Don't miss out on the opportunity to own this piece of music history.

Why would you give this description and then sell it for $6? Since, s/h was free, it was at least $4.13 for shipping. Ebay takes a cut of the $6. This person sold an autograph worth hundreds for a few pennies.

It came and it's real. Someone at facebook told me why the first name looks odd, he signed it Maxie not Max. This is early in his career.
View attachment 136622View attachment 136625
Wow!

Side note, I'm kinda into vintage movies and James Cagney is an awesome actor! In fact, since I learned there was a method for folding pocket squares named for him, that's the only way I do it!

Glad you got the deal, that's really cool!

Wow!

Side note, I'm kinda into vintage movies and James Cagney is an awesome actor! In fact, since I learned there was a method for folding pocket squares named for him, that's the only way I do it!

Does this scene look familiar to you?

Attachments

• bogart-robinson-orchid-2.png
    bogart-robinson-orchid-2.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 3
I used to do quite a lot of shows for a British comedian, Bernard Manning. A man of, er, mixed popularity. He was a lazy git too, and threw me a huge pile of photographs and said sign these can you, I can't be ar5ed - Love Bernard. My writing is terrible, but I signed maybe 200? I saw one on ebay, and poking around - I can tell the real Bernard signature from loads of wrong ones. My guess is what he did to me he repeated whenever he ran out!

Last edited:
I used to do quite a lot of shows for a British comedian, Bernard Manning. A man of, er, mixed popularity. He was a lazy git too, and threw me a huge pile of photographs and said sign these can you, I can't be ar5ed - Love Bernard. My writing is terrible, but I signed maybe 200? I saw one one ebay, and poking around - I can tell the real Bernard signature from loads of wrong ones. My guess is what he did to me he repeated whenever he ran out!
That's a sad story and you gotta wonder how often that went down / goes down still.

Good find Snowman!

I used to do quite a lot of shows for a British comedian, Bernard Manning. A man of, er, mixed popularity. He was a lazy git too, and threw me a huge pile of photographs and said sign these can you, I can't be ar5ed - Love Bernard. My writing is terrible, but I signed maybe 200? I saw one one ebay, and poking around - I can tell the real Bernard signature from loads of wrong ones. My guess is what he did to me he repeated whenever he ran out!
Secretaries signed a lot of film star autographs. There are ways to tell, though now you really have to be an expert (99.99% aren't) or just accept that what you have might not be real. Though usually when an autograph is inscribed to a person, the chances are better that it's real.

I've seen obvious fake signatures with COA from places with good reputations. It's all a crap shoot. I try to do some homework before buying. I'm sure some of mine are probably fake. Which ones? I don't have a clue.

I did buy for like $15 an autograph book with all the Andrew Sisters autographs. They didn't sign their names, just The Andrew Sisters. It was signed in 1937 just before they broke big. The girl who owned the book, put great details on the pages. There's a lot of big band artists in the book. Her father worked for a radio station in NYC.

My wife picked up at a flea market (I saw it and didn't buy it), a set of old 78s from a country band back in the 30s or 40s. The photos are autographed. Each one of the autographs sells for a few hundred dollars on ebay.
Does this scene look familiar to you?
Brother Orchid is an EXCELLENT film.
Wow!

I did not know that about the pocket square. I'm going to have to check it out. I use tissues. Lots of tissues. I kind of have a Durante nose. Though not quite that big.

I must admit to a resemblance to a well known personality. It’s a weekly occurrence for people to ask if I know I look like him, but sometimes I get hooted at by people waiting at traffic lights, but the worst times are when leaving theatres after we finish a show. Drunken women are the worst, and no explaining every works, so in those cases, I just sign love Pete xxx and that works.

Attachments

• paul-and-petejpg.jpg
    paul-and-petejpg.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 2
I must admit to a resemblance to a well known personality. It’s a weekly occurrence for people to ask if I know I look like him, but sometimes I get hooted at by people waiting at traffic lights, but the worst times are when leaving theatres after we finish a show. Drunken women are the worst, and no explaining every works, so in those cases, I just sign love Pete xxx and that works.
I was only confused with a star once, and it was embarrassing. 1982 or 83 I wore a big hat. We went to a Mexican Restaurant in Huntington NY, and after eating the waitress puts her checkbook down and asks for my autograph "Boy George". I am a boy, and my name is George. But, I sure ain't Boy George. I guess with the hat, I could see how they mistook me for him. I explained I wasn't him. They accepted it. But, as we left (I was with my GIRL friend) every worker was lined up wishing us a Merry Christmas. I felt bad. But, I wasn't going to sign someone else's name to make them feel good.

I guess we or a lot of us get it, personally I can often kind of spot a musician as being a musician. Clues not necessarily being a long hair. Throughout the years mostly from females I've gotten the "aren't you that guy from that band?", literally. I mean, yeah, I appreciate the recognition, but not exactly high praise, "that guy from that band". One particular night in a bar, given my right arm was in a cast from a broken hand dressed down in a black t-shirt, arm in a sling, which doesn't necessarily scream that guy from that band, I notice this chick across the room kind of staring at me, whispering to her friend while looking. Drop dead gorgeous. She approaches, awkwardly reaches out and shakes my broken hand, my freshly broken hand. Star struck you might say people do dumb things. "Hey, aren't you that guy from that band?", kind of loud talking over the noise level. I just stand looking for a second, "No", deadpan. She just gives me a look of disgust, you lying bastard type disgust, although with a faint smile like we shared a secret...my guess considering drop dead gorgeous she wasn't used to that sort of treatment. "Oooh, okay", and walks away. All the guys around me some I didn't even know were all like, what the f, dude, you're supposed to say yes! I don't know about that, even if I was that guy from that band, I gave the correct response. What I did learn that night, that guy from that band or not, apparently if you want to attract a lot of attention from a lot of women in a bar, dress down in a black t-shirt and wear your arm in a sling.

One night in a bar I saw Sean Pierre Cousteau, son of Jasques Cousteau. Yeah, talk about obscure celebrities, what the heck do I know from Sean Pierre Cousteau, but I recognized him. What the heck, I approached, "Mr Cousteau?". "Yes?" "Admire your work, sir." "Thank you." Nailed it.

I guess we or a lot of us get it, personally I can often kind of spot a musician as being a musician. Clues not necessarily being a long hair. Throughout the years mostly from females I've gotten the "aren't you that guy from that band?", literally. I mean, yeah, I appreciate the recognition, but not exactly high praise, "that guy from that band". One particular night in a bar, given my right arm was in a cast from a broken hand dressed down in a black t-shirt, arm in a sling, which doesn't necessarily scream that guy from that band, I notice this chick across the room kind of staring at me, whispering to her friend while looking. Drop dead gorgeous. She approaches, awkwardly reaches out and shakes my broken hand, my freshly broken hand. Star struck you might say people do dumb things. "Hey, aren't you that guy from that band?", kind of loud talking over the noise level. I just stand looking for a second, "No", deadpan. She just gives me a look of disgust, you lying bastard type disgust, although with a faint smile like we shared a secret...my guess considering drop dead gorgeous she wasn't used to that sort of treatment. "Oooh, okay", and walks away. All the guys around me some I didn't even know were all like, what the f, dude, you're supposed to say yes! I don't know about that, even if I was that guy from that band, I gave the correct response. What I did learn that night, that guy from that band or not, apparently if you want to attract a lot of attention from a lot of women in a bar, dress down in a black t-shirt and wear your arm in a sling.
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to actually taker her home. What's wrong with you. :-)

I just finished the Mal Evans book (Beatles roadie) and he signed a lot of Beatles photos and others did too Ive read.
Autographs, and stories get a lot of time on Pawn Stars. I was 5ft from Chuck Berry as he waited to go stage, he wouldnt sign, his manager said Chuck stopped doing that years ago....the manager signed. lol

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to actually taker her home. What's wrong with you. :-)

Dude, you too? :facepalm:

I was married, or soon to be...it's been a while. The ol' lady, ha!(looks over shoulder)...I doubt she would have appreciated the extra company. Besides, who wants to get laid on account of possibly being mistaken for someone else, "that guy in that band". I gotta be me. Given a choice I'd rather go with the unassuming no threat arm in a sling sympathy lay.

Dude, you too? :facepalm:

I was married, or soon to be...it's been a while. The ol' lady, ha!(looks over shoulder)...I doubt she would have appreciated the extra company. Besides, who wants to get laid on account of possibly being mistaken for someone else, "that guy in that band". I gotta be me. Given a choice I'd rather go with the unassuming no threat arm in a sling sympathy lay.
Good hubby, you are :)

Be happy you don't resemble someone who's picture is in the post office (wanted by [insert three letter agency here] in the USA). I always thought drunken women were the best, just sayin'.

The post office?

I don't know what it said about me at the time, and still don't necessarily get it....

In my 1976 7th grade yearbook my English teacher Mrs. Hendricks wrote, "Your wit and sly ways will get you far. See you in the post office." True story, that's what she wrote. I have no idea whatsoever she meant, especially at the time. A bit of a headscratcher. Hindsight, a bit of a knee slapper.

She also bestowed upon me the "I'm so cute I can't stand myself" award that year. I think everyone got one, an award. That was mine. What the hell does that even mean?

I don't know what any of that means, time catches up with you, vanity fades, perhaps over the years you buy a damn stamp or two. I've managed for the most part to avoid incarceration, with the rare exception. Life's a riddle, at times. What's perhaps less of a riddle, if even possible(!), i was learning quite early what made women...tick. No small feat, and you're a damn fool if you ever think you've got it figured out.

Or something or whatever, somebody mentioned Post Office.

Back