Buy 8 channel AD pre or upgrade recorder?

MiXit-G

I'm at the stage where i need more live recording channels.

Im using my fostex D-1624 to record my band but it only offers 8 tracks via analog inputs, 10 via spdif or 16 via lightpipe.

At the moment im using all 8 analog plus 2 spdif via my old DVD player!! which was a great idea i thought exept the karoke mic pres are dogshit but if you use it for a line input does the job well.

That only really gave me a total of 9 because the DVD player only has mono inputs.
I need more!

Behringer has a new product on the market ADA-8000 which would do the job.

So should i upgrade my recorder to one that records more simultaneous analog tracks(HD24) or should i buy a 8 channel AD preamp unit?

If i do deciede to upgrade recorder then my console will be streched to its limits with I/O's necessitating a patchbay for playbacks etc...

Any suggestions would be great as perhaps some of you have been here...

You are obviously outgrowing your current setup. I would suggest that you *not* try to fix this in a patchwork manner, but instead plan further into the future than you are now. In other words, go for the HD24 and also think about what kind of mixer you can pair with that. It can be deceptively seductive to look at spending $200 on an ADA converter that appears to solve the immediate problem, but all you are really doing is delaying the real solution. And in the meantime, you have spent $200, money that is lost to you for making a real upgrade. And that's an upgrade that you *will* eventually have to make in the future, no matter what.

So my advice is to not go for half measures, but dream up a system that would be great, and cover your needs for the forseeable future (2-3 years).

So that means having enough tracks to record on, and having a console with enough inputs to handle that. Forget the business of kluging together a patchwork setup, as that will ultimately only lead to compromised results and frustration.

Go for the ADA8000.

I've been using two of them in my computer setup since August and I've been very pleased with them. If the options were to spend $2000 (just quessing) for new recorder or $200 for additional gear that would do the trick I'd at least give the cheaper alternative at try.

I guess it makes sense to try out the ADA8000, as that will allow him to eliminate the DVD player, which would be good. But the problem with the cheaper alternative is that you end up spending that money over again, and again, and again. Better to take the long view and set up something that will last for a few years, assuming the money is available for a decent upgrade like that.

I'm not necessarily suggesting the HD24, that's just what the original poster brought up. I personally use a computer DAW and really like recording and editing in the computer.

I agree with you about the cheap stuff in general but in this particular case I don't.

The ADA8000 should really costs twice or three times as much to get the respect it deserves. I've heard nothing but good things about the new Behringer mic pres and the ADC and DAC chips in ADA8000 are made by Alesis so the sound quality should be on par with the Alesis AI-3 which costs twice as much and don't even have the mic pres on it.

About the HR24. Why would someone buy the HR24 if the Fostex d2424LV offers the same features for $700 less? For the price of HR24 you can have the D2424LV and three ADA8000s for total of 24 mic of line level inputs.

I also like recording directly to computer mainly because it gives me so much more for the money and makes my life a whole lot easier. Before my current computer DAW I used to have the Yamaha AW4416 and before that the Fostex VF-16 and I used them for tracking and did the editing and mixing on computer. Now I'm using the n-Tracks studio for recording and mixing with bunch of free effects plugins from the web and the Nuendo 96/52 souncard connectects the PC to the two ADA8000. With this setup that I've invested less than $2000 I can record 16 tracks simultaneously (even while surfing the web;-).

Yup im going to try the ADA-8000 i cant see the need for more than 16 live tracks and it comes with pres so thats another problem solved.

Yeah computer recording is cool but i like to be completely mobile so i have my console and recorder in a rack case the when i get home transfer via lightpipe into cubase..best of both worlds!!!

Thanks for your replies

Let me know how you like that ADA8000 when you get it!

I'm considering trading in my 1010 for a MOtu 2408 and a one of those for a mobile rig...

Back