button pusher/producer

wesley tanner

well, which is it? do you guys try to perserve the artistic integrity of the performers you record, or do you try to make um sound good? :D

the last three or four bands that came to my tiny lil' studio came because they wanted to work with me as a producer, and that makes me feel amazing. I get to experiment with sounds! I get to say "play that like this" and switch mics on the fly for just the dead notes in a funky rhythm.

anyways, do you guys spend more time trying to capture the performance, or coach the performance? or maybe contour the performance?

I have done a few recordings in studios and i would definetly prefer to help the musicians to get the best source sounds from their instruments, so that it makes me look good because i have captured good sources to get a good mix from. If i got bad sources then it would sound pants!

ecktronic said:
If i got bad sources then it would sound pants!

You mean it would sound like my pants ... your pants? Or do you mean it would just sound like anyone's pair of pants?

Blue Jeans? Slacks?

it depends what the client wants really.
I am a musician first and foremost so i do have the knowledge to help them if they need it, but sometimes they just want you to shut up and push record.

Dave

ecktronic said:
I was refering more so to the british term of pants........... Y-fronts, boxers etc.

So in other words, if you have good musicians and good instruments that sound good in the room ... then your music will sound more like a fine pair of well-tailored slacks.

Whereas, if the instruments don't sound good, then it will sound more like boxer shorts?

I guess I kinda' get the analogy.

I have a new word, though, for the British vocabulary: The word is "shit." Do you guys ever "say" shit over there? I like that bettere than this whole "pants" business. Pants is a little too cutesy for my taste. Just say "It would sound like shit," rather than "It would sound like pants." :D

Just try it sometime. Much more effective.

I only record myself and other musicians playing the suff I write, so of course I am after a certain sound. But even so, I want to capture their nuances. I don't want a bunch of guys who sound exactly like me. That being said, I am a bastard in the studio. I hear ever single tiny little mistake, however insignificant anyone else thinks it is, and I make them do it again and again until it is PERFECT.

if the musicians you are recording don't suck and actually put the music before their ego then it is best to carpture the moment. If they do suck, and chances are they do but don't know it, then it is best to coax them into doing something a different way. But, if they are paying you, ultimately you gotta do what they want.

chessrock said:
I have a new word, though, for the British vocabulary: The word is "shit." Do you guys ever "say" shit over there? I like that bettere than this whole "pants" business. Pants is a little too cutesy for my taste. Just say "It would sound like shit," rather than "It would sound like pants." :D

Just try it sometime. Much more effective.

Ummm....doncha mean SHITE?? As in that sounds like shite? Personally I prefer ass.

I'm usually trying to get some good takes at the point where the band is warmed up and loosened up enough to play well and before they have consumed too much beer and the performances start to deteriorate.

If we nail a couple of songs, that's what I call a good weekend. :D

chessrock- In britain we say all sorts of things for rubbish such as Shit, Shite, Crap, Bollocks, Pants etc.

All can be put in the sentance-'That take was (blank)'.

Dave

Back