Busting strings, then they settle down...

glynb

Balladeer
Anyone else notice this....
I have a '73 Telecaster Custom, getting oin a bit but a nice guitar. I have noticed that when i change a set of strings I can guarantee that I will immediately break some, not one, some, in the next two or three gigs. Eventualy I stop breaking them and then i can go for several gigs without breaking any. it's as if in each new pack of strings there are weak ones which break and once I've replaced these with a replacement odd string they 'settle in' and i break no more!! Wierd.

Surely they wouldn't deliberately put weak strings in the pack...would they?

Incidently I'm using Rotasound and Ernie balls. Is this the problem?

That is not right. Is it usually the same string or strings (I bet it is). Take it to a good repair shop, and have them look at it. Hopefully, they can find the problem, and fix it for you.

Though the "G" string in an acoustic set, and the "D" is always weaker, just because of the thin inner core, but that is inherent to the design of the instrument.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Where on the string is it breaking? What I mean is, is it breaking at the bridge, the nut, or at random places along the string length?
This will tell you alot about whats going on.

MadMinute said:
Where on the string is it breaking? What I mean is, is it breaking at the bridge, the nut, or at random places along the string length?
This will tell you alot about whats going on.

I only EVER break strings at the bridge, don't ever remeber a string breaking at another point. It's a telecaster custom with an adjustable 'barrel' thing at the bridge. Maybe the barrels need replacing or something, they are nearly thirty years old after all. Hopefully they can still get the original parts to replace it.

i had a problem similar to this with a js1000. what had happened is the hgh e string had worn thru the chrom finish on the saddle, and created a burr that would break the string.
to fix it, i took a pair of hemostats (any smooth metal tool will work, hemo's have a curved end, so no new scratches) and broke off the little burr. in effect, just burnish the string area with a round metal tool. then i took a dremel buffing wheel (the white cotton ones) and buffed it a little with NO BUFFING COMPOUND. cleaned it right up, and i have not broken a string in almost 9 months. and i do get into ritual whammy bar abuse sometimes :)

You don't need to replace them (unless they are heavily rusted), they just need some smoothing. This is best done by a professional, as we have done it many times before, and know what to look for.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

From memory the '73 Tele has 3 barrel type saddles, check them to see if they are worn where they make contact with the string. What it sounds like is they either have a rough spot which is shearing the string when it gets under pressure or a groove doing the same thing.

I don't have one to check out but I think you can turn them over, unscrew the allen screws and reinsert them from the other side.

Clive Hugh said:
From memory the '73 Tele has 3 barrel type saddles, check them to see if they are worn where they make contact with the string. What it sounds like is they either have a rough spot which is shearing the string when it gets under pressure or a groove doing the same thing.

I don't have one to check out but I think you can turn them over, unscrew the allen screws and reinsert them from the other side.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. There are indeed three barrels. I turned at least one of them over a while back (they are the same on both sides) but maybe i didn't turn over the D string one - I'll check. Another thought was to swap the barrell in the centre which keeps breaking the string for the one at the top (A & low E strings). As they are chunkier strings which never break and probably more resistant than the D string. All three barrels look the same.

Fret said:
What about the graphtech saddles. www.graphtech.com

They are great, but they (unfortunately) do not make Tele saddles, at least not last time I looked. They sound good, and make a huge difference in string breakage. I have a Strat copy I made when I was thirteen which used to break strings once a week (I played a lot harder back then). Then I put on the Graphtec saddles, and it stopped. A great product.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I just joined a band where I get to… or maybe end up playing harder then usual. I broke 3 D strings in two weeks. I put the graphtechs on my Epi and no more problems.

It looks like the do now have Tele saddles as well.

Fret said:
I just joined a band where I get to… or maybe end up playing harder then usual. I broke 3 D strings in two weeks. I put the graphtechs on my Epi and no more problems.

It looks like the do now have Tele saddles as well.

They do indeed. Good to know.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back