Bus Automation problem

dave419

Hey guys,

I've been puzzling over a problem that has developed in my latest project in sonar 6 and I simply cannot work out what seems to be the cause so I thought I'd ask for some help.

During a fade out from an electric guitar I want to have a flanger on the guitar fade in. A simple task or so I thought. As I have numerous overdubs of the guitar I send them to a bus which deals with all the distorted guitars. I insert the sonar FX flanger and set an automation track to the mix parameter. I set it to zero and then have it progressively fade in over the guitar fade out. This I assume should do the trick so I play back and lo behold no flange. This problem only occurs on the buses and not the individual tracks. Also it only occurs on this project, none of my others or even one I started just to check this. I have tried just about everything I can think of to solve this but have not been able to puzzle it out. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Don't know, other than occasionally odd stuff happens with envelopes and a work around has to be found. You say it works in another test project so it would seem you've got the basic stuff right. (You're not fading the source away from the input to the effect for example?
Perhaps bounce the effect fully wet', then automate that effects track at the track level?

Does the envelope definitely affect the parameter it's assigned to? That is, if you open the FxFlange while the envelope's changing, do you see the "mix" fader move?

I find that Sonar sometimes orphans an envelope for no discernible reason. (Hover over the envelope with your mouse, and the the tooltip will say "orphaned.") The solution is, usually, to create a new bus, drag all the FX over from the old bus, and update all the sends to the new bus. PITA, but but still better than having to use Cubase :p

OK,

So I've tried your suggestions and neither have worked (they are things I had previously tried anyway but it's always worth checking I haven't missed something simple). On top of that I tried the rather drastic measure of loading all of the track data (waves and midi) into a brand new project (luckily I'm fairly close to the start, although this still took quite a lot of time). That perplexingly did not work also. Next I took my project data and loaded it into Sonar on my house mates computer to see whether it was some setting or another of Sonar that was causing the issue. At this point my house mate was also sucked in and he effectively loaded another of my projects and went through every single possible setting and thing that was remotely different. Just as we were close to giving up with this painstakingly dull procedure he unfreezes an instance of Native Instruments Absynth only to find the automation now works? We play around a little more and find that simply by turning off the synth and leaving the track frozen the same effect is achieved.

So now I have a work around but still no real satisfying answer as to why this is occurring. I'm very grateful for your help and suggestions and thought I'd open up this particularly bizarre error to further scrutiny.

Can anyone think of a possible reason why this should be occurring?

Dave

I can't imagine that behaviour is by design.

Some thoughts:
- Are you on Sonar 6 or 6.2? They fixed a few possibly-related bugs in the synth rack for 6.2: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20070129.asp

- It might be worth asking on the Cakewalk forums, as the developers hang out there. (Though with version 6 being a few years old, they'll probably just tell you to upgrade :) )

- On the general options tab, there's a checkbox for "unload synth on disconnect" which does automatically what you described as your workaround. Looks like you've got this option turned off, but unless you have gigs of memory, there's no good reason to leave a synth loaded once it's frozen.

Just curious, this was killing only this one automation then, others in the proj. are ok?

Again cheers for the suggestions,

It is only killing FX automations in the buses. The tracks are fine and the bus parameters output vol, pan's etc.

I'm fairly sure I'm running 6. I'm looking into patching now.

As I said before, this isn't an obvious problem, I've been using Sonar 6 for a while and my house mate for far longer than I have.

Dave

Back