Burnt out RAM?

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
I right click on My Computer, then select Properties. At the bottom of the list it says;

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
1.54 GHz
256 Mb RAM

When I put this thing together last Feb, I had installed 512 of RAM, (two 256 sticks) so is one of these sticks burnt out? If not then Whut the Hell? :confused:

I had a similar problem when I built a new computer. The memory sticks the store sold me were the wrong type and the computer was only "seeing" half the memory on each chip. Once I got the right sticks the problem went away.

Go to any reputable computer store and they can help you get the right sticks.

hmm, it was a reputable store that sold and installed them for me actually, I forget which kind, but the good stuff :). For the life of me I can't remember if that thing ever read as '512 Mb of RAM'...Is there any way of self testing these things?

Have you opened the case to see if it's all properly mounted in the slots? At work I got a laptop on my desk once with something similar. I just had to refit one of the memory sticks to make the laptop see all the memory again.

I bought my RAM from the same store that put the computer together for me, and they still made the mistake I mentioned above. No worries, once I explained what happened they realized they screwed up and fixed it. This particular problem happens quite often.

It might help if you took the computer to the store next time. Sometimes they can tell by looking at the motherboard what sticks you need.

Hopefully a computer expert will step in shortly, but I think your computer does some sort of RAM check every time it powers up. But then, it can only check what it "sees".

Phyl said:
I bought my RAM from the same store that put the computer together for me, and they still made the mistake I mentioned above. No worries, once I explained what happened they realized they screwed up and fixed it. This particular problem happens quite often.
I haven't heard of this problem with the current generation of processors and chipsets (P4/Athlon) but it certainly was true in the PII/PIII days.

you could take a stick out- try startin her up-
replace it and remove the other to try the same thing.

Maybe a bad stick. maybe they're only 128 sticks?

just some thoughts- good luck to ya

/jeff

if its getting to ya that bad..you can take the computer to them and explain the problem and what kind of memory you need exactly.....usually they dont charge you for repair when they realize their the screwups.....even computer nerds make mistakes when it comes to calculations

Several good suggestions listed in this thread. It is possible that one DIMM is bad. It is also possible that one has become unseated in the slot. It would also help to know what operating system you are using.

kremitmusic said:
you could take a stick out- try startin her up-
replace it and remove the other to try the same thing.

Maybe a bad stick. maybe they're only 128 sticks?

just some thoughts- good luck to ya

/jeff

Ya know, I did this with someone's computer not long ago, and for some reason it fucked things up quite royally, otherwise I would have done this already. Maybe it was just dumb luck, but call me paranoid now :D .

I have the case opened up, and I can se that the tags on the sticks say 256 mb 2700 yada yada yada...so there is 512 in there. They are both snug and firmly seated as well.

I am also running XP PRO, and FWIW, an A7N8X deluxe mobo. I'll probably be taking this thing in pretty soon (we'll see what christmas brings :) ) for a retrofit and get the memory checked, I think it's under a 1 year warranty.

How long typically do memory sticks last anyways?

Depends. I have built pc's for years and have never lost a memory module of any kind. By the same token, I have lost a couple of modems and other electronics during electrical storms while using surge protectors.
I would simply pull both sticks, insert one stick, boot the pc and see if you have 256 of memory.
I would then repeat the process with the other stick. That will verify that both sticks are working. Good luck.

Back