Burner Problem (Stumped)

Nashstudio

Ok I reformated my computer and when I did the software that I had been using for like 7 months wouldnt work till I upgraded to the newest version(if it aint broke I don't like to fix it) Never made any NOT 1! coaster. So last night I burn 2 CD's of the same 2 Tracks one for me to listen too and one for the client to listen to. It burns and says it was successfull and all the way home it plays fine in my car CD player (Both CD's do) but when I get home and want my wife to hear it, it won't play on my computer either with a player or by hitting just the play button on the CD rom. So I figure no biggie and try the stereo in the living room, won't play. I then try a small radio in the kitchen WONT PLAY. I took it to our neighbors WONT play. It will work in my shitty car CD player but not anywhere else.. It totally locks up winamp and windows media player and my system. I am totally baffeled by this and don't know what the deal is so if anyone can shead any light on this it would be great. I am using Nero burning software with a sony 8X burner and like I said it has worked perfect for almost 3/4 a year and a ton of CD's..

What type of media are you using? Did you use a different type, sounds obvious but you never know. Different brands can give some weird results like your experiencing. If you haven't changed media types recently, maybe you just got a couple bad disks. (far fetched but not impossible) I have found car stereo's to be more forgiving as to what disks they will play, not just media types, but scratches, dirt etc... Maybe because there in a hostile enviroment, they make the components more forgiving, I don't know.

settings changed?

Sometimes when you reinstall software like that, you forget to make little, but important, settings changes. For example, my number 1 source of "coaster" CDs is forgetting to set a burner to "close" the CD. If a CD is not "Closed" then it is left "open", or multi-session compatible, and a great huge number of commercial CD audio players will not be able to read it. Some car CD players actually use CD-ROM type optics to deal with things like read-ahead (shock protection, etc.) and so they often have less of a problem reading CD-Rs that are not closed.

I am using my same stack of 500 CDRs and am down to the last 100 or close to that so its not a change in CDR types and I always close the session as well but thanks to both of you for trying. This has me totally stumped I burned a couple more today with some blue bottom CDRs and some of the other ones that I have been using I now have like 6 more coasters. ;-(

A tale of 5 drives

I went through a run of "coasters" last night that turned out to be only pseuedo-coasters. It's near the end of a large # of Taiyo Yuden CDRs that I got from MF. Suddenly I notice that the group of 4 CDRs I just burned with my latest CD won't play in my SONY consumer deck. The deck is nearly 9 years old, but plays commercial CDs fine and even plays audio CDRs both recent and very old without a problem. The symptoms of a bad CDR in the SONY player are either:

A) a scratchy static-like noise over a muffled version of the actual audio content but the normal track structure being recognized by the player. Or:

B) doesn't recognize the disc at all. Or:

C) a few of the tracks aren't recognized.

Plus, EZ-CD creator crashed TWICE in the middle of a burn!
No way those would play. No TOC. Both times after burning three CDRs consecutively. Two more mini-pizza trays.

However all of these "bad" CDRs are recognized and played just fine by three different CD-ROMS (software decoding)
and by my standalone CDRW drive.

Switching brands to Maxell and burning at 2x instead of 4x had no effect on the outcome.

I recently burned a data backup of all of the project files from this latest CD on 4 discs. I tested them on three different CD-ROM drives and they were all flawless.

My guess is that my old SONY player is ready for retirement.
But how do I rule out a change in performance of the burner?

Connecting the dots- here's how it turned out.

Costco to the rescue. I tested a run of some new CDs purchased at Tower Records. Went in there looking for a CD with Joe Pass playing "Watch What Happens" and ended up buying David Fiuczynski's "Punk Jazz", Remember Shakti- "The Believer" and Earl Klugh "Love Songs". Turns out that Shakti's disc skipped badly but very reproducibly in one spot on one track. It woke me up sounding like a fire alarm in the middle of the night. Played fine elsewhere and on other players. That did it. Down to the store to get a replacement. Took about 5.5 seconds to choose the TEAC-PD-D2750 5-disc changer. The most commonly used function on the SONY 5-disc unit that died was to put it on all night repeat mode. The old one survived about 9 years of almost constant use. The new one had the same features, converters at least as good (didn't actually know this at the time of purchase but believed that this was a good bet), plus 'change a disc while one is playing' feature and both optical and coaxial SP/DIF outs. Claims to play CDRs AND CDRWs! Best feature was the price: ($80)

Bottom line: All those reject CDRs play just fine. Back from Coasterville without a scratch.

Now that I solved the coaster problem I found out why these units were $80. No real big deal: it's under warranty. But I had to take the fuckin' thing apart to get my CDs back (some groups of 5 CDs sometimes cost more than this 5-CD changer!) cause this was a total death- Power Supply failure. No eject of the tray possible. Within an hour of first power-on. Right in the middle of playing a CD!
Gotta love that Chinese Quality Control!

Attachments

• mv5one4j.jpg
    mv5one4j.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
Back