.Bun users Beware!

kennedy connor

Hey... does anyone know how to get back your audio files after the .bun treatment and "compression". Unfortunately cake saves this audio in one LONG file and pity the fool who tries to cut this thing up. I suppose that one could rerecord the entire song track by track and copy to new song ....yuk......does the exciting new Slonar do anthing about this stupid audio file system the RjQm9nii03ltz.wav ....which is so handy when you want to do something outside of cakewalk.

thanks for your reply........the process would be to insert the compressed audio file into a new wrk file and then figure out exactly where the beginning of each track is and cut and paste to another track... ugh..... I had a thought it might be possible to copy each individual track in the original .bun to sound forge editor and save each track individually and insert into new project. What ultimately might be a solution is to create a new wav data folder with each project....or after finishing the project to use CWAF tool to locate names of the tracks and save to cdr with .wrk and avoid the .bun option altogether...if and only if the accumulated files are not larger than the cdr capacity. You know I've been a cakewalk guy for a long time....pro tools and cubase I think both make you create a folder with each projest and pro tools keeps the audio on the screen right where you can grab it...no insert wav and guess which file is the one you want...it also saves your files after a destructive edit in case you change your mind down the road.....does the sonar have these features? I noticed the new look and the sound forge-esque explorer window.....last nite I tried to install cubase and realized that it would involve reinstalling all my soft synths etc etc.....oh well.........

Wait...

...wait wait...back up.

It sounds like you're trying to salvage data from a trashed .bun file. Is that what you're doing...How did it get mangled?

-L

once again........

I am trying to take individual tracks from a .bun file and load them into Vegas Pro ot remix. The.bun files are not damaged but they are "bundled" i.e. made into one very long track. It is possible to observe this phenomenon by loading a .bun file into cake and creating a .wrk file. Save it and close Cakewalk. Then open the CWAF tool and you will find listed under the .wrk file you just created a file or two attached to that .wrk file. Open a new file in cakewalk and insert the file listed in the CWAF. What happens is that you have inserted a file which contains all of the orginal audio tracks from the .bun file laid end to end. Hence10 seven minute tracks become one seventy minute track.....weird.....I have been unable to find any way to return the individual track files to their pre "bundled" state.

dude what are you doing?

why aren't you just exporting the cakewalk tracks into individual wave files? if you do mixdown audio on a single track and deselect all panning, volume, or aux you'll be able to get at the raw files.

is this one of those climb mount everest because it's there type of things?

or are you trying to come up with a way to grab the tracks without having to go through the trouble of exporting each individual track? let me know if you do it, because i've mangled a .bun or two trying. i did it specifically because it was there, not because i needed to.

The .bun file thing is retarted.

kennedy, go back and use your original .wrk file and export each single track like cross studio says, then open them all up in Vegas. btw why the heck do you wan tot mix in Vegas?

I avoid the .bun file like the plague. and Before I open or record anything I change the recorded files folder. Total pain in the ass. I back up manually. again total pain in the ass.

I too would like to know if Sonar does this. Personally I would like to name my wavefiles and put them where I want them. Sonar looks great, and I'll probaly end up using it anyway, but the way that all cakewalk products manage wave files is the biggest JOKE in the audio software industy.

Most won't agree with me. They just use Cake and let it do what IT wants to their wave files. Me, I force it to work around me- we'll, actually I work around it!! :D

I hope it all works out, kennedy, and I hope you still have that original .wrk file!

-jhe

thanks

Thanks gents. the export to individual .wav seems the least painful of the possible solutions although it is too late for all my .bun projects. But of course this adds yet one more cumbersome step......I didn't understand when people told me cake was clumsy.... the reason I like to use Vegas is that it is a better application than cake. It never crashes...it leaves my .wavs they way i found them...it seems to use about 1/10 the resources than cake....the more I use the more I like it...unlike cakewalk which moves in the opposite direction....

James is that retarted or retarded or restarted?

You guys seem to imply that you can't use "export audio" after you've created a .bun file. I don't believe that's the case.

Load the .bun file into CW and all your tracks are there. Mute all but one, and do "export audio" and you should get a .wav file of just the one track. Repeat for the other tracks. (Exactly as you would do for a .wrk file. All the individual audio is still there, just compacted into one big file. Exporting to .wav one track at a time, should extract the individual tracks from the compacted file.)

Should work fine (other than being a pain in the ass if you have a lot of tracks).

The CW .wav filing system is a bit cryptic, I agree. However, it does save a lot of time from having to name individual files if you do a lot of patching. I can easily imagine the file names becoming "Proud Mary - Track 3 - patch 17", and later you still wouldn't know exactly what was in that file, except maybe to know what song it went with.

Back