Built new PC, now my old audio card (Yamaha DS2416) having problems with playback

ErichS

The DS2416 has served me well for about 6 years but my old computer had to be upgraded

The new system is configured follows:

Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard (3 PCI 2.2 slots)
2GB DDR2 RAM
2 Western Digital 250GB HDs
Antec Neo 550 (550 watt) power supply
ATI Saphire Radon 1300 graphics card PCI-e 16X
DS2416
AX44
Windows XP professional

Installed in this computer, the DS2416 keeps cutting out. At first I thought this was the usual issues with buffers etc in the audio program (SONAR Producer 4), but I have found that it happens any time the card is activated and just sitting idle (e.g no audio playing).

This became evident because I kept hearing randomly spaced clicks through my headphones while the card is active, with or without audio playing. I verified that the clicks were due to the dropouts by playing a single wave file while keeping the master fader on the software mixer (DspCtrl) down, and watching the meters on the outputs. This way I could see the audio activity and still listen for the clicks. For every click, the meters would drop out indicating no sound.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem including:

-reseated card
-tried different PCI slots
-updated motherboard BIOS
-reloaded Yamaha drivers (latest drivers from 2002!)
-disabled all startup items in Windows
-disabled onboard sound and all un-needed hardware
-lowered CPU/FSB speed
-used a utility to change PCI latency

At this point I don't know if the problem is with the computer or the DS2416 and driver etc.. I'm thinking maybe the DS2416 may just be too old (technology wise) to work in this computer.

The on-board sound (when enabled) does not exhibit the problem; so again, it seems related to the DS2416 (or PCI bus).

Has anyone successfully used the DS2416 in a fairly modern computer?

Thanks,
Erich

Hello Erich.

Download a fine piece of shareware called DblDawg and set sensible PCI latencies [say 64] for your graphics card and anything else that's hogging the PCI bus.

Most clicks and pops are cured this way.

Also check that the card isn't sharing an IRQ.

Back