Built-in Vs. soundhole pickup for Taylor

Canobliss

Ive heard some great things about the built-in pickups and electronics of taylor guitars, but are they really worth the extra $500? Or is the money better spent on an extra soundhole pickup and a better model.

Are you talking about the Expression system? I checked one out at a local music store and was pretty impressed with it. You can shove the guitar right into the face of an amp and it won't feed back. They get good frreviews for live shows. For recording though it seems a lot of players can take it or leave it.

I really dont plan on ever using it for recording unless I have to track multiple things at once and hopefully then I could go back and over dub some better takes and mic it. But then again a good direct sound could have its place.

Haven't heard anything about it, but for recording an acoustic, you'd just mic it for the best sound anyway.

Evidently, the Expression System varies drastically from guitar to guitar. I had a 410-RCE (indian rosewood) with it , and it was absolutely unusable. I currently have a 614-CE (maple) with it and it is a little better, but way too midrangey. Mixing it in with a full band is very difficult. One of my friends has an 814-CE (brazillian rosewood) and it sounds absolutely amazing. It's just one of those YMMV cases.

The ES electronics have major reliability problems. I can't even begin to tell you how many of those things we've had to repair, but for the last few years we have had at LEAST two or three in a week. They send us parts by the case load.

On top of that, I think they sound like crap. But of course, that is just my opinion. Make your own judgement on that one. And of course, I am not fond of the Taylor sound in the first place.

It is also worth noting that while the Expression System is highly prone to needing warranty repair, Taylor is exceptionally good at providing those repairs. They have warranty centers all over the place, and they provide those warranty centers with exceptional support. I may not like the sound of their guitars much, but I have nothing but good to say about the COMPANY. Good people all around.

Personally, I think you would probably be much happier getting a Fishman Matrix Natural I installed in whatever you buy. At the very least, I have seen FAR more customers who are happy with Fishman units than with the Taylor ES.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yeah, I'm actually trying to find a way to retrofit some other pickup system into my 614-CE, but the "integrated-ness" of the ES is making that a pain.

Light, have you had any experience with the L.R. Baggs iMix system?

You need it for playing live?

For recording pick up a Shure SM81 (or pair) and you will never look at those pick up systems again.

I'll second the pair of SM81's for recording. So long as you have a room that isn't TOTAL crap and have a guitar that has a decent sound, the 81's will faithfully reproduce it.

THanks for the responses guys. Don't worry I never plan on using a pickup for recording unless its for effect or live situation. I have a couple of 414's that sound awesome for that.

I think I will save the money and go without the electronics. Thanks for the feedback.

Any recomendations on soundhole pickups for less than 200?

Canobliss said:
THanks for the responses guys. Don't worry I never plan on using a pickup for recording unless its for effect or live situation. I have a couple of 414's that sound awesome for that.

I think I will save the money and go without the electronics. Thanks for the feedback.

Any recomendations on soundhole pickups for less than 200?

Not any good ones. The only decent soundhole pickups on the market (at least IMHO) are the Fishman Rare Earth and the Sunrise, with the Sunrise the clear winner. The Fishman goes (in my shop, at least) for about $225 street price, and the Sunrise is about $50 more (IIRC).

But let me ask you a few questions. You were thinking about spending $500 on a ES pickup, so why only $200 for an after market? Second of all, why a soundhole pickup? They are the least "acurate" of the possible solutions. Now, that is not always a bad thing (Leo Kotke has been using the Sunrise for years, and it is the pickup of choice for many people. It is part of the system I would be using if I played out more), but you should ask yourself why you are thinking a soundhole pickup. I would assume that you have a reason, but it is important to give consideration to all the options.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

sile2001 said:
Light, have you had any experience with the L.R. Baggs iMix system?

Yeah, the preamps are these bricks which get stuck to the back of the guitar with this stickum that has a tendency to come undone, particularly when they have as much weight on them as with the iMix. I HATE those preamps. For all that Baggs makes a lot of nice stuff, I think those preamps are a REALLY bad idea. There is a BIG potential for serious damage to the guitar.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back