Buildup of dust in the PC case?

redCashion

How bad is having dust inside of a PC case and should I get a plastic covering for my computers? I've noticed that both computers have a good build up of dust, and it just seems that it can't be good for my computer, and yet I never hear anyone talk about it as an issue.

Putting a cover over my case seems like it would decrease air flow and raise the temperature, which might be worse than having dust..but I am curious of whether dust is a problem?

I've lived with dust in my various PC's over the last 8 years and never had any problems. If ir will make you feel better, go in there once in a while with a can of compressed air and blow the dust out. I do it maybe 2-3 times a year...

I've seen some amazingly discustingly dirty/dusty machines.

I'd suggest picking up a can of compressed air and giving it a shot every now and then if you are in *that* dusty of an enviroment. Pick it up at a decent electronics or computer store, blow the dust out of the cpu fan and off the mainboard, as well as power supply and anywhere else.

I haven't seen dust or cig smoke cause any problems with functionality. Unless the power supply or CPU fan stops.

But, like a car, if it's clean on the interior, it seems to run better.... :)

Air cans can sometimes blow water vapor. Be careful.
May sound odd, but I use one of those tiny hand held vaccum cleaners with the long hairy brush. The housing is plastic so no worries about touching metal to metal.

Keep your PC tower up off the floor.

I used to run a graphics studio and was asked to put all the computers under the desks to make the studio "look nice"... within a few months they were all choked with dust. And this was in a clean office.

Needless to say they all went back up on the desks after getting blown out with canned air.

If you are doing a project (like upgrading RAM or adding a card) then use a vacuum cleaner designed for the purpose or a can of compressed air.

When I started in the computer game, we used to do "PM's" on all the workstations. PM stood for "Preventive Maintenance".

Among other things, we would clean the dust out.

My opinion now (after 10 years in the computer industry) is that dust is NOT a problem.

I've seen machines that looked like they were stuffed with dryer lint. It wasn't the dust that had me opening them up. It was either to canibalize parts, or put new parts in.

As long as dust dosen't conduct electricity or clog up your fans, you'll be fine.

Carl

using filters

While at the Teac service center (waiting to have my cassette deck serviced), I overheard the conversation between the service tech and a DA88 owner. The tech suggested using an air filter to minimize dust contamination. Actually, there is an issue with the DA88's cooling fan, but that's a whole different topic. As far as computers are concerned, you could install dust filters at the front intake vents. Some improvising may well be required to install them securely. For more info, visit the "overclockers" website. There, you'll find some imaginative ideas about cooling and ventilation.
By the way, I too, use compressed air, mainly on the fans and the cpu heat sink. I think it's pretty important to at least keep these areas free of excessive dust accumulation...especially with today's faster (and hotter) running processors. If using compressed air from a can, keep the can straight up, or else the liquid propellent will blast onto the area that you are cleaning. Use the straw to direct the air stream, refraining from tilting the can.

My perscription, as long time PC tech guy, is open the PC cover once per year, take it outside, and blow all the dust out with compressed air. As you already said, putting a cover on it could cause it to overheat.

Worst dust situation I ever saw was a few years ago, a customers 486 computer had become so choked inside with dust and cat hair that it caught fire, melting part of the motherboard. We hung the corpse up on the service department wall as a reminder to people to clean their PCs out every so often.

Stealthtech said:
Air cans can sometimes blow water vapor. Be careful.
May sound odd, but I use one of those tiny hand held vaccum cleaners with the long hairy brush. The housing is plastic so no worries about touching metal to metal.

That stuff is under extreme pressure in its container, it evaporates before you have a chance to clean it up. That does nothing anyways if the system is off and unplugged (which it should be if you have the case open).

Definitley clean it out with compressed air once in a while as others have suggested. By all means NO PLASTIC COVER. I have heard that you can use panty hose over the vented area to filter out most of the dust so you could try that if you're really concerned about it.

Back