Building your own drums

bajanalpha4

Hey I'm pretty new here but I was wondering if anyone has any websites or advice for someone looking to build their own drums...starting completely from scratch.

I would really appreciate the help! Happy Tuesday everyone!

lots of info out there, first look into shells and that will bring you to some links for hardware.

You probably want to buy finished Keller maple shells, with bearing edges cut and if possible have your lugs selected and the holes drilled. Then really it is just hers, rims, and rods, mounting brackets.

of course u could just by a kit, but if done right your custom Keller kit could be markedly better than off the shelf.

Best of luck and have fun!!!

Starting from scratch is going to be a bit expensive as you need some tools to get it done and some know how to build some jigs (a decent router and router table being the most important). A table saw seems like a must as well.

I have seen 2 jigs for milling the outside, one where the shell slid through a router table on a large round clamp and was rotated over the bit and one where the router moves over the shell. The first seemed easier.

The inside milling seems a lot easier to rig up. Just a track for the router to move on and a roller system for the shell to turn on. Move the router a little, spin the shell repeat. The router table is needed to put the bearing edge on and makes milling the outside of the shell easier.

There are plenty of stave drum tutorials on youtube.

I sort of agree with buying pre fab ones but IMO fuck kellar shells. Boring IMO. There are so many cottage makers doing much more interesting things when it comes to raw shells for not much more.

I considered making a snare myself, but once I found out you can have them made with the bearing edge put on for less than $200 (since I have no tools) I decided if I ever do it I'm just going to order a virgin shell.

Awesome! Thanks guys! It looks like stave drums have the most tutorials out there and more basic equipment so it looks like I'll go with that method. Now to figure out the wood.

I wouldn't learn on anything to expensive so maybe oak, maple or birch? I wanted to do walnut and birch alternating each stave cause I thought it looked good.

03c7cd_343f385899bc9e4f035531d1ae5a73ed.jpg_srz_575_421_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Oh, I see u really want to build from scratch? Can I assume u have a kick A$$ wood shop and some pretty good skill? Cause it will most definitely take that to make a drum kit from scratch.

Staves, i have own played, and built one w a buddy. First, have you played Staves, not typical sound and having owned Brady and many other Staves, I can say it is a taste for a smaller number of people than ply drums. I ask this because, it is not trivial building a Stave snare with exacting measurements. I don't have a wood shop that meets any pro stds, but used to build guitars in conjunction with some other shops in another life. He has built about 70+ solid shell steam bent snares with great success, as he was a builder for a company before this.

Scratch what do u mean scratch? drum shell machining is not something you can do on your own with any semblance of good results, unless you are really versed in it and most of all have proper equipment. I won;t go into detail here as u can find a lot of information on shell manufacturing. There is a reason Gretsch, DW, Ludwig, etc..... buy Keller shells, no?

If you are even thinking of somehow scratch building or buying some shells to cut your own bearing edges, please do practice on about 1000 or more samples with your fine router bench on scrap wood and eventually something similar to a drum shell before even thinking of putting the bit next to a new shell. Along with lots go good information on the web, you can find many many pics of DIY bearing edges, lug mounting and tension rods with dramatic splay. Trust me, if you are not already experienced and knowledgeable about crafting drum shells, don;t waste your time and money until you have done next to someone who knows and does it regularly, or do it as many times as possible and not with real solid woods, some cheap cheap ply or even wood pallets or something. I won't even mention finishing.

And, I would as mentioned if I needed to, I would buy keller shells or even better some NOS Jasper shells or the Kellers with the similar play layout, with bearing edges, lug mounts drilled and probably even finished or wrapped and I would basically add the hardware.

What have I learned building that Stave and watching 3-4 other people build traditional ply ad steam bent snares in dedicated wood shops? i am not going to venture into drum making in this life. Just too much investment and experiential skill involved to ale it worthwhile as a player.

If u want to venture into becoming or having the skill to do it, I would however highly encourage that!
I have great respect for those who make it their craft. I live close to Eames, Noble & Cooley, and I think SJC etc... here in MA. Have a visit to a drum maker, some can be very generous with their time and knowledge.

Back