Building vocal booth

Spraggs

I'm building a vocal booth. A box 4ft in width 7ft length. I would really like the front of the booth to be all glass. Is there a problem with that? where could i get a slab like that?

The glass may be a concern re: sound reflections.

I built a 5'x6' vocal booth and put a small glass window on the door to allow visual contact with the control room.

I ended up putting foam over the glass to eliminate some reflections - and candidly, the visual was not all that important. As long as I can communicate with the vocalists via a talkback mic - I found the window to be more of a negative than positive.

Others may disagree, but when it comes to a small vocal booth (which will likely not have great acoustic properties), I think it's normally better to keep the sound as controlled as possible (in essense, a dead sounding room) with ambiance provided by a processer.

That being said - I would think most building supply stores could provide a large sheet of glass if that's was you really want.

Too many reflections. The surface area is just too large. This gives you a nice slap back hollow sound. My vocal booth is 4X4X7.5 and 100% of it has internal foam. The window is smaller for less hard surfaces. This is perfect for dry vocal singing and voice over work in my studio. I build my booth from a plan design from www.dawbox.com, I made a few changes and I now have a great D.I.Y. Vocal Booth that cost me about $350.00

http://www.dawbox.com/Vocal Booth 4X4.htm

It would have been idea to just build a double walled 2X6 frame and angle the walls but I needed a simple knock down design to move around from time to time.

Back