Building vocal booth in basement

Craigory

My basement is currently in the rough stage and I am currently pulling wire for a project studio. I am mainly interested in building a vocal booth that can be used for acoustic guitar, strings maybe, and vocals.
I have framed the corner of the room to be about 5 X 6 X 7.5 high. Two sides are pour concrete. I would like it to be as sound-resistent (I will not use sound proof because I don't think I can on my budjet, and the house) as possible. Most of the time it will be used a vocal booth tracked by itself. I would just like a room with minimal bleed that will sound good.
One heating duct runs through the corner that I framed out. I plan on inslulating the hell out of it and sheet rocking with sound board as well. I also have a 2" PVC drain that runs through the room unforunetly and I don't know if i should frame it out or cover it.
What I have been told so far is that I should run my mic lines and headphone lines, insulate the walls, put up drywall, then soundboard, then drywall again (on both sides of the booth). I should then use some sort of a acoustical treament to keep reflections down.
My first question is, is this correct so far? Second, what are some suggestions for lights. I was planning on one air-tight recceseed light, but now I think I should maybe do a couple of wall lights, so that there aren't too many breaks in the walls. Third, how are the auralex wedges? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It is definetly a permanent booth, and hell if I sell the house they can use is as a closet. Thanks for your help. I hope I was throrough enough.

You're welcome. Some of us don't read the forum every day.

You could search and read old posts, there's a ton of advice within this online system.

Tell you what, Rick and myself will be right over to build you a vocal booth at no charge, that solves all your problems.

:rolleyes:

If you only have a single stud wall rather than a double walls then consider Resilient Channel beneath the gypsum board on the inside The neoprene isolated RC hangers also help. The RC gets your inner leaf decoupled from the rest of the wall.

I would definitly go with framing out the pipe. The reason is that the pipe itself passing through the wall is a flanking path for the sound.

as for lighting, track lighting is the traditional solution, It used to be that fluorescents were out of the quetion due to ballast hum, but the new compact fluorescents are more silent and add less heat to the room.

Skip the soundboard, two layers of gypsum board are more mass for less money.

Skip the foam and go with fabric covered fiberglass. Build up the fiberglass in at least one corner to be a bass trap.

If you can't go with double doors, and even if you can, pay close attention to the door seals.

Now comes the real irony, after having made this room so soundtight we have to add ventillation in order to prevent you from suffocating. Use two small quiet fans (put them on a dimmer if they are too noisy) one for input, one for exhaust. have both send their air down a chaseway with a couple of turns and lined with absorbtive material.

Thank you

I can't thank you enough for your input. I kind of figured I should frame the pipe out. Thanks again.

Tell you what, Rick and myself will be right over to build you a vocal booth at no charge, that solves all your problems.
:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: Speak for yourself frederic :p I'm neck deep in a septic tank changeover!! F..........K. Never again. :( :mad: ;) Ever dug up one frederic. Don't. it SUCKS!!!!!!
fitZ

Back