Building my own mics

Good Friend

Hi. I want to try to build some mics but i need to know where i can get some mic parts like bodies and head/grill parts. Does anyone know where i could order some?

you could buy really cheap chinese mics and disasemble them. the only capsules i know of that you can get are electret condensers from digi-key or mouser.

Good luck. There really are no companies that readily supply mic bodies to the consumer. I've been looking for years. I have had to resort to buying cheap mics, gutting them, and then building my own circuits. I've even resorted to machine shops and doing my own welding/brazing to make/mod bodies.

There are a couple places for electret and dynamic capsules, but I can't remember off the top of my head and have way too many bookmarks to sort through.

A good helpful forum to join would be micbuilders at yahoo groups.

The best supplier is your local plumbing store. Here is a ribbon mic I made out of copper tube and coupler. The size of the coupler is a perfect fit for XLR connector. Just file a groove inside. The window I cut on a mill with rotary table and then turned on a lathe. You can use a hacksaw, as well.

MyRibbonMic.JPG

Marik said:
The best supplier is your local plumbing store. Here is a ribbon mic I made out of copper tube and coupler. The size of the coupler is a perfect fit for XLR connector. Just file a groove inside. The window I cut on a mill with rotary table and then turned on a lathe. You can use a hacksaw, as well.

Mark,

A. You're a show-off. :D

B. Where do you get the wire cloth?

C. What screws are those on the side holding it together?

D. 2" pipe?

wow!

Marik said:

MyRibbonMic.JPG

that's a good lookin' mic.

I wanna know step by step how you did that.

And then I can do it, and tell everyone how cool I am. :D :D :D

But really, I do want to know. :eek:

Please???? :confused: :o :D

Pete

Yeah, that would be great if you could give a step by step, even if its vague. This fits right in line with my DIY attitude. That is a very nice looking mic. How does it line up w/some of your store bought mics? Cost?

That's an awesome looking mic. If you have the time, I'd love to hear the blow-by-blow story of how you made it, estimated cost, and a soundclip using it?

hey thanks

This is all helpful information, thank you all.

Im thinking about taking cheap chinese mics or building my own mics, then "relic-ing" them for fun. You know, make them look like the old beat um57s and stuff just for fun. You may laugh, but having what looks like an antique sitting in front of you is more inspiring than a guitar center logo or some equivalent.

Thank you Gentlemen for nice words!

Crazydoc,

Thanks for the links. I completely forgot that I posted that, so I guess you saved me some typing time :).

With mill and lathe it is pretty easy and straight forward.

PhilGood said:
Mark,

B. Where do you get the wire cloth?

C. What screws are those on the side holding it together?

D. 2" pipe?

B. That mesh I got from a local metal supply store. Mcmaster-Carr also has it. Make a search there.

C. I love those black screws. They are Allen Socket type. Ace hardware has them. If not, check your local bolts and and nuts supply.

D. I think it was 1.5". The 2" is also a standard size and has a coupler.

Back