Building my own home-studio: Some questions

Hugo Huijer

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old student from the Netherlands, with not a lot of money. Right now, I am saving up for a proper home studio. I have made a list of equipment that I'm planning to buy, and I want your opinion on it.

Before I do that though, I will give you some context information. There is a sketch of the room below. The red square will be the position of my desk. I have chosen to place it here, so the soundwaves from my monitors will be reflected against the angles roof, into the floor. My floor is carpeted. My desk will be the only furniture in this room.

Onto the list:

New desktop: Dragon Computer Kerkrade - AMD FX 4100 4x3.6Ghz PC Windows 7 22 inch LCD scherm desktop

External harddrive:
Western Digital Elements SE 500GB - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

Monitors: 2 x Adam A3X's with the option to later add a cheap sub-woofer.
Adam A3X - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

midi-controller: M-Audio Keystation mini 32 (Just using for simple string/piano sections)
M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

Headphone for when recording: Shure SRH240
Shure SRH 240 A

Acoustic treatment:
I am gonna make as much DIY panels as needed. I already have the information needed to build them, and where to place them.

Things I already have:
- Shure sm58
- Rode NT1A
- Tascam US122L
- Reaper (I actually paid for it)

- Elektro-acoustic guitar
- Epiphone sg400
- Vox vt40+

So, it's quite a post, I know ;) But I really want your opinion on this. Do you think this will do as a proper home-studio? What do you guys think of the monitors? Do you think I need an extra mic?

The music I will be making is like this: hugohuijer.bandcamp.com only then higher quality ofcourse :D

So, please let me know what you think about it!

Looks really kind of expensive. Recommend going as cheaply as you can and just enjoying making music. Do you have photos of your planned space?

I am thinking about spending around 1500 euros, and most audio engineers will think that is a thight budget ;) I am not planning to make music just for the joy of it, like I did untill now. I am planning on taking it to a higher level. I think this equipment will defenitely be good enough to get a sound quality equal to the commercial studios.

I think you're off to a great start for your ideas. The Adam AX series is great, but I would recommend going larger than the 3s. I understand budget is an issue, but even the 5Xs would give you a much larger bass response, and the AX series are pretty light on bass to begin with. The Adam sub7 or sub8 would still be a great addition to the 5Xs down the line. Of course, I do highly recommend treating the room as well. When you get to that stage, post in this thread or in another for any advice.

I would also consider the ATH-M50s for your tracking headphones - a bit pricier, but they are great headphones for mixing and tracking, and compared to even some $300 headphones, they're flatter, and go down in bass pretty low.

Back