Building LEED certified green studio, need help!

Should I use Icynene for sound insulation in my new LEED certified home/studio?

• Yes, I've used it and it is awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I've heard of people using Icynene as sound insulation and it has, reportedly, done well.

• No, I thought about using Icynene as insulation and decided not to use it.

• I've never thought about or installed Icynene for sound insulation in a studio.

• Total voters

phwinmd

Hey all I'm brand new to the message board here,

I'm building a new LEED-certified "green" house and want to create an ideal space to track, listen and mix my own music--usually loud rock--drums/bass/guitar, but electronic music too. I've attached a link to the room dimension "alotted" by my wife for this studio--was originally going to be an exercise room, but we swapped locations.

Question is, if cost isn't a factor, how would you transform this space (starting with 4 concrete walls and a concerete floor) into your ideal space given my intent. I'm interested in your knowlegde of "green" soundproofing materials, drywall, insulation, flooring, etc...also the over all layout--tracking room vs. control room. Since my space is very similar to Rod Gervais' awesome example from his book, I thought I'd choose one of his designs. If you have any other ideas or suggestions I'm totally open. Given all the really talented people who participate on this board, I bet I'll get some awesome ideas that I would never have even considered.

Question 1: Has anyone used Icynene or similar product spray foam for insulation of a studio?

Here are the preliminary plans for the space:

s26.photobucket.com / albums / c143 / phwin / ?action=view&current=Studio1.jpg

This link won't work, because homerecording.com won't let me put in the real URL, please take out the spaces and follow the link to my studio outline.

Changes from this image: I've decided to pour concrete walls for all four sides of the structure with a concrete air lock entrance.

Question 2: Has anyone used radiant floor heating for a studio? Pros vs. Cons?

Thanks for reading this post,
Patrick.

I'm building a new LEED-certified "green" house and want to create an ideal space to track, listen and mix my own music--usually loud rock--drums/bass/guitar, but electronic music too. I've attached a link to the room dimension "alotted" by my wife for this studio--was originally going to be an exercise room, but we swapped locations.

Question is, if cost isn't a factor, how would you transform this space (starting with 4 concrete walls and a concerete floor) into your ideal space given my intent. I'm interested in your knowlegde of "green" soundproofing materials, drywall, insulation, flooring, etc...also the over all layout--tracking room vs. control room.

I find myself confused.......... if you are already building a green house - then you understand (or should understand) what your green options are for construction - where you get the best ratings - and where it just isn't worth the cost for the small increase in points.....

From a material point of view - it doesn't make a difference if it's a house or a studio in your house - you have to follow the same guidelines (in fact - seeing as it is a room in your house - you have to follow those same guidelines if you expect to have your house certified as "green".

So - knowing all of that - it goes to the basics of isolating construction - which is an isolated inner assembly - using an MAM system - with plenty of mass - and air tight construction.

None of the basics change just because you're building green.

OK - now - I didn't take the poll because it's meaningless........ which is actually the case with most polls.

Think about it - a few hundred years ago a poll would have certified the world as being flat - and a couple hundred years before that as being the center of the universe......

Unless the people you are polling happen to be experts in the field of construction - their opinions on the question are just that - opinions - which means they have no substance - no scientific data to support them.......... and hence the entire poll can't produce any meaningful data to analyze.

Question 1: Has anyone used Icynene or similar product spray foam for insulation of a studio?

The question should be the value of this product as relates to isolation - the room being isolated has nothing to do with it's value.

I dug into this quite a bit on the last hotel I was involved with - and opted not to use the product.

1st - it really has no value (from an iso point of view) over standard fluffy fiberglass insulation to make it worth the additional cost.

If the install is sloppy and touches both wall surfaces - it will actually create a short circuit - and in that case it will LOWER the TL values of the walls......

The only clear advantage it has is that it really does create a good air stop for any wall assembly........ BUT - that is inside the bays - where typically this would not be an issue other than in relation to outlet boxes - and those are easily handled through other manners.

You still have to caulk/seal the wall / ceiling edges to stop air movement........ so taking that into consideration I cannot see the value for this material whe I look at a benefit vrs cost analysis.

Question 2: Has anyone used radiant floor heating for a studio? Pros vs. Cons?

Radiant heating is an excellent choice for a recording studio- although you still have to deal with the intake and tempering of outside fresh air as to not kill the people who are working in the rooms.

I used this floor heat extensively at Power Station New England.

Rod

Last edited:
hey rod... are you saying it has some use in isolation transmission wise??? but not as damping???

Demented,

I am saying exactly what I said...... which is that it has NO BENEFIT over fluffy fiberglass - and a possible problem that fluffy fiberglass doesn't have.

Rod

why not use the cotton stuff? You know, that stuff made from recycled jeans. I think its called UltraTouch.

why not use the cotton stuff? You know, that stuff made from recycled jeans. I think its called UltraTouch.

It works - but is not required for Green Certification -
and you pay a premium of roughly 15 to 20% above the cost of fiberglass.

There is recycled fiberglass out here - which you could ptentially get some extra points for - but in general - fiberglass insulation is approved for use in green construction.

Rod

Thanks for the input.

I appreciate the input from you all.

Rod-
The poll would give me, not factual data, but experiential data, which is worth something in my opinion. In other words, the data would be worth something if an individual out there could tell me "I've used Icynene and it works as good as the other studios I've built, so don't waste your money"...but point taken.

Slowjett-
We're looking into it...the recycled jeans is a really cool product. As Rod mentioned, the limiting factor for all of these substances is cost vs. benefit. We're getting bids on all of the above, including blown cellulose.

Does anyone have experience with blown cellulose as insulation?

Does anyone have experience with blown cellulose as insulation?

For insulation purposes, I blew in about 15" in my attic with a rented machine from Lowes. I purchased about 100 bales of the stuff and blew it in over an afternoon with help of someone supplying the feeder.
Has insect control and about the same insulating properties as the pink stuff, but for a studio, I don't know.

I'd recommend it for the purpose I used it for..insulating my attic! :)

Back