building guitar

sixforty

hey guys

me and my buddy are building a guitar and we're almost done except we're trying to make sense of the electronics. he bought a humbucker that he wants to throw in the bridge and we're scrapping the electronics off of strat. we were trying to figure out how to hook the tone/volume off the strat set up into the humbucker. the humbucker has 4 wires coming off of it. so anyway i don't know much about this so if anyone could help out that'd be awesome.

thanks

justin

well we did take apart the strat but its confusing because:

1: the strat has three pick ups, two tone knobs, one volume knob and a 3 way selector.

2: the single coils on the strat had 2 wires, the humbucker we want to use has 4

so basically we're trying to simplify our strat set up to one humbucker with one tone, one volume knob. i've been checking out the diagrams and its helping its just hard because i don't know what kind of humbucker i have.

If your humbucker has 4 wires, chances are it is designed to give you options in relation to splitting the coils or switching them out of phase with each other, but I would imagine that different manufacturers would use different coloured insulation on the wires, so as far as I know there is no standard to advise you by.

Trial and error may be the only way you will work it out.

:cool:

If it has 4 wires,My eduacated guess would be, 2 should go to the tone knob 2 to the volume.

Another thing you could do is take it to a guitar store and have the person that fixes the guitars at the store come out and tell you.

ausrock said:
sixforty,

Have a look at the attached schematic, it may be just what you need. Alternatively take a look at the link.........http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics.shtml
...................there are a number of alternatives there for you.

:cool:

Sixforty,

The reason that your humbucker has 4 conductors, is to allow you to split the coils. You wont need to use all of them unless you are planning to use a switch position that gives you a single coil of the humbucker. This will give you a wider varience of sound if you do this. Good luck

Aus,

That was a good link and reference. Thanks.

Fangar

Back