building gobos

rtzstudios

As I was looking at Big K's studio I noticed what nice gobos he had and I thought "hey I need to make some of those!!!" So, I need to know if this will work nicely... I plan on buying some house doors from Home Depot(the cheapest and lightest ones I can find of course!) I would then hinge two or three of these together. Next I would buy some egg carton foam, fold it in half, and staple it to the doors. Or I could sew some cloth together and fill it with polyester stuffing (basically like a large pillow) and then staple that to the doors. I know this type thing could be a possible fire hazard but I have a no-smoking studio so I'm not too concerned with that. Would something like this work or should I try something else? Thanks!

I understand what you're saying kristian, but I want to be able to move them around easily. It would be tough moving around three heavy doors that are hinged together, unless there is some way to take the hinges off (easily) so I could move one at a time...any suggestions??? Thanks for the info guys!!!

hey thanks for the link to that foam, john ...

yeah rtz ... if you can get a solid oak door, it would probably work better. Maybe you could figure a way to mount each door on casters so you can wheel it to where you want. Or, maybe you could use some exterior-grade doors ... steel with foam cores ... that could be lighter. Just ideas ... but that may work.
If you're looking at hollow doors, I'm just not sure if it would be as effective as something with more mass. Better than nothing, though ... that's for sure.
Good Luck!

I would have thought a sheet of chipboard (particle board whatever you guys call it) as you'd get the mass but it would be thinner and probably lighter than a solid core door.
cheers
John

I really like the caster idea BK!!! The doors I am looking at are filled with foam I believe, but they're not extremely dense. Do you think particleboard would actually work better John? If so that's probably what I'll use, along with that Acoustic core stuff from OC. One more question... Should cover the Acoustic core with a piece of cloth once it is attached to the board or is it ok to be left out in the open? Thanks!

Id cover it with cloth at least - we are covering the stuff in the ceiling with plastic and then cloth. It still works with plastic over it.
Cheers
John :)

Another idea is using acoustic fiber glass. Use the 3.5 lbs per cubic foot density, mount that on one side of a piece of plywood, cover with some cloth, add some small legs and casters. You have a dual pupose gobo. One side absorbs, one reflects.

That's it wally - you can even make the panels so they work portrait or landscape so to speak and some like a glass window in them.
cheers
John

rtzstudios said:
I understand what you're saying kristian, but I want to be able to move them around easily. It would be tough moving around three heavy doors that are hinged together, unless there is some way to take the hinges off (easily) so I could move one at a time...any suggestions??? Thanks for the info guys!!!

If u use hinges commonly used for toilets and bathrooms , at least hear in OZ we do, u will find them very easy to disasemble cos their known as lift off hinges ..just a thought...
spider

Back