Building custom studio racks & desks

Hi all,

I'm brand new here and I posted a similar intoduction in the Rack forum before I saw this studio building section. I'm a long-time home recording hobbiest and a woodworker. I have just as much fun bulding new home studio furniture everytime I move as I do writing music when it's completed.

Anyway, I thought I'd contribute a popular tutorial that I wrote a while back on how to build quality studio furniture on a tight budget. Lots of pictures, ideas and reader tips.

Let me know what you think!

http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/Workstation5

Also, here's one I recently completed discussing the EIA 310-D (19-inch rack standard).

http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/RackRails

Hi Alex. Nice job on your racks. I built mine too. I was ready to jump your ass for cross posting this around but I think you're a nice guy and didn't know cross posting is looked down on around these parts. :D Again, nice job.

Thanks for the slack, Track Rat. I think the rack bulding article is more appropriate here and the rack standard article more appropriate on the Rack forum. My sincere appologies if I've irked anyone :o

I've just started exploring this forum this evening -- I'm guessing there are a lot of pics of custom racks here, too. I'm looking forward to it, though i'm admittedly intimidated by the 1 million+ posts!! :eek:

Hell, that's nothing. I don't have crap for a post count. Stick around, it gets better.

Check out the "Build This Workstation" page on my website :rolleyes:
No charge! :eek:
HSG
PS-nice designs you have by the way! :D

here's a desk i've recently built.

Attachments

• console_desk_v17_431.jpg
    console_desk_v17_431.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 477
photo - still need to finish wiring in the third mixer but already doing some recording... sketchup plans on the JL Sayer site. do a search for console desk.

Attachments

• dsc_4447_2_729.jpg
    dsc_4447_2_729.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 9,534
much nicer finish than mine :-)

I put mine on wheels so I could easily move it around and adjust wiring, clean, etc... plus the iso-cabinets keep the adat and PC noise way down... just a bit of fan noise from the forced ventilation but I'm working to fix that...

Back