Building computer for recording, Need help

Slaytanic Dude

Ok, I'm going to build a computer for a decent-good recording set up. I'm new to all of this and most components I see people talking about on here looks like a different language. I have been using a fostex 16 track digital multitrack for the past few years and now want to buy a recording rig of my own, and was told to go with computers and stay away from those multitrackers.

I have recorded direct into my computers before simply using a pedal or behringer v-amp into my Line-in port, the clean is decent while the distortion is terrible.

1. Soundcard: I have been told I need a good soundcard. What are some good affordable sound cards? What ports do they need?

2. Pre-amp: Besides the v-amp I have been using, I think I need a pre-amp. How do pre-amps work exactly? Is this what I need? What is a decent one for a good price?

3. Mixing board: How will I use the mixing board in terms of the pre-amp and sound card?

4. Mics: What are some good condensers for the price?

5. Speakers: Are playback P.A. speakers more convenient than headphones?

Like I said, I really want to get something going and I am new to all this. If someone could put a setup into terms I can understand it would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan on running a small recording studio for high school bands, broke college musicians, and solo artists during my next semester in college for something fun to do. I will have a budget of $1000-$1500 to start this with. Maybe someone could give me a list of components I need and how to set it up? Thanks

O.K. First things first. You need to get a Good Processor, and at the very least 512MB of Ram (A gig would be prefferable), and a dedicated video card (doesn't have to be fancy, but not onboard or shared)

As far as soundcards are concerned, it all really depends on what you are wanting to record. If it's only going to be you laying down 1-2 Tracks at a time, then that's one set of soundcards, if you're needing to maybe do about 8 tracks at a time, that's a whole other set.

As far as Pre-Amps go. If you have the money, dedicated pre-amps are always a great way to go. If you do not after it's all said and done, there are many interfaces that have at least 2 pre-amps built in. and several with around 8. I personally own a Presonus Firepod (8 Preamp Firewire unit), and it has served me well.

Mixing boards are optional. Some people like to use a mixer to do the mixing on because of the "Feel" it seems more than anything, but any good software will have all of your mixing cababilities covered.

In general, lot's of soundcards will work, just depends on what you need to get accomplished. Make sure you buy some good mics, and plan on spending a lot of time. So many people think that they can buy all of the high dollar equipment and get great recordings no matter what. Very Wrong!! It's been my experience that an excellent recording engineer can make average equipment sound loads better than a terrible engineer using top of the line equipment. Plan on spending a lot of time experimenting (Mic Placement, Room Acoustics, Mixing, Editing with Effects like EQ and Reverb). The time spent will pay off just as much, if not more than any piece of equipment you buy.

Ask around in the mic forum for some choices on good condensors for what your wanting to do. Also invest in some nice studio monitors (not PA speakers). These will help in the mixing and editing portion of your project.

Hope this helpes

Thanks, I have been reading up on some stuff and am getting a better idea here. I have one more question concerning a pre-amp.

I have been looking at the Behringer UB1832FX-Pro Mixer. This mixer has built in mic pre-amps with a 24-bit processor. Would I still need a pre-amp if I had this mixer to record into an M-Audio soundcard? Would electric guitar sound decent on the mixer pre-amps?

And how does a video card in a computer concern with recording audio?

you dont want your pc struggling to share resources between video and audio or you will get all kinds of glitches and crackling sounds on your recording - thus, offload all the video to a card with its own processing power.

-alex

I wouldn't use the behringer's as your sole source for pre-amps. They're OK if you're just getting started and are on a budget, but I would stick with either some preamps in an interface, or some stand-alone pre-amps.

Back