Building bass traps, shopping list.

One major (to me) difference is that I used a sheet of plastic between the frame (painter's drop cloth) and the OC703 panel to trap any fibers from getting out the back afterward.
Yeah, good idea. I noticed she left the back open. I'm going to buy the thinnest, cheapest material to put on the back. It will allow me to use less of the good fabric I bought and still have the back covered.

A possible cheap alternative to the fabric is weed barrier. We use allot down here in the desert SW of US. For the 6 panels I did it would have cost nearly $250 just in fabric. This stuff was 50' for $12. I went with black traps as they matched the colors I was using, and because it comes in rolls of 3' by 50', there was very little trimming.... Easy Gardener® 3ft X 100ft Weedblock Fabric (1041) - Landscape Fabric/ Weed Block - Ace Hardware

It is a very porous thin pvc membrane. Used it instead of fabric as a cheap alternative, looks great, sounds great, and easy to use....

A possible cheap alternative to the fabric is weed barrier. We use allot down here in the desert SW of US. For the 6 panels I did it would have cost nearly $250 just in fabric. This stuff was 50' for $12. I went with black traps as they matched the colors I was using, and because it comes in rolls of 3' by 50', there was very little trimming.... Easy Gardener® 3ft X 100ft Weedblock Fabric (1041) - Landscape Fabric/ Weed Block - Ace Hardware

It is a very porous thin pvc membrane. Used it instead of fabric as a cheap alternative, looks great, sounds great, and easy to use....
Thanx man. I'll look into something like that. I definitely don't want to keep the back open. :cool:

I've built 6 frames so far. I'll do the other 2 tomorrow. They actually only take about 4 minutes to put together once the wood is cut, but I'm lazy tonight.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how bad it is to breathe this stuff? I have 2 panels exposed for now and they're in the same room as me. Is this dangerous?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how bad it is to breathe this stuff? I have 2 panels exposed for now and they're in the same room as me. Is this dangerous?

Not dangerous, just an irritant if you breathe in dust fibers. Also, it doesn't have volatiles so it's not giving off gases or anything. If you don't shake up dust, it'll be okay. Still, best to completely cover it, I would think.

Here's a link to the MSDS

Not dangerous, just an irritant if you breathe in dust fibers. Also, it doesn't have volatiles so it's not giving off gases or anything. If you don't shake up dust, it'll be okay. Still, best to completely cover it, I would think.

Here's a link to the MSDS
Very cool, thanx for the info and link, Jummy.

In that case, I'm thinking of making a couple of panels into a bed......no?

:eek:

Very cool, thanx for the info and link, Jummy.

In that case, I'm thinking of making a couple of panels into a bed......no?

:eek:
Jummy?? Must be french for "the absolute coolest guy in the world", I get that a lot.

So, I gotta ask why you're building more panels. I thought you had your room set up already.

Hey rambo, here's some of mine:

20120606_091707.jpg

I just built frames with 1x4, stretched burlap over one side and stapled it down, dropped the panels in, then stretched burlap over the other side and stapled to seal it all in. No glue. The corner traps are mounted to the wall permanently with small L-brackets. The larger 4x4 gobo panels are portable to use next to the drums or around a guitar cab or whatever. They also serve as first reflection point traps for mixing. The clouds hang from the ceiling with 600lb fishing line. :D

why you're building more panels. I thought you had your room set up already.
Well, as long as there are corners, a room is never completely set up. I've also moved about 5 times in the last 6 years, so every room is a little different than another.

But mainly, I was always scared to make my own bass traps, though I knew I needed them. I'm not very handy and I thought I'd screw it up somehow. Then I said "Fuck it", bought a staple gun, borrowed a circular saw from my brother, started cutting wood, and it turned out to be not as hard as I thought.

I do have treatment in my room, but it wasn't enough.

Hey rambo, here's some of mine:

20120606_091707.jpg

I just built frames with 1x4, stretched burlap over one side and stapled it down, dropped the panels in, then stretched burlap over the other side and stapled to seal it all in. No glue. The corner traps are mounted to the wall permanently with small L-brackets. The larger 4x4 gobo panels are portable to use next to the drums or around a guitar cab or whatever. They also serve as first reflection point traps for mixing. The clouds hang from the ceiling with 600lb fishing line. :D
Very cool Greg. Is it just the angle of the canmera, or is that ceiling like 15' high?

And how the hell did you manage to post a picture? Half my attachments didn't show up.

It's just the angle. I was sitting in a low chair when I took that pic.

My pic is from photobucket. Go into your album, and under each pic is a little drop down box that will have a direct link in it.

It's just the angle. I was sitting in a low chair when I took that pic.

My pic is from photobucket. Go into your album, and under each pic is a little drop down box that will have a direct link in it.
Ok cool man thanx. I'll try posting a picture that way.

OK let's see if this works.

I've had these red panels for about 10 years. I have 5 of them. My uncle gave them to me after he got rid of all his office stuff when he retired. There's rigid fibreglass in them and they weigh about 30lbs each.

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

I also have 8 2'X4' white panels like the ones in the link below. I 'm not sure what they're good for, but they're sold as acoustic panels. I'm guessing they're good for a bit of high and mid dampening, but don't depend on them too much.

http://www.architonic.com/pmsht/colour-troldtekt/1163364

I'm going to use 2 of them to hold up my clouds like this:

DSCF00072.jpg

All this, plus the superchunks I already put in the corners, along with the 8 bass traps I'm building now should make a nice difference.

Last edited:
Your tracking and mixes always sound good to me. Now it'll be even better. Bad news for the n00bs that want a piece of you. :D

i always imagined Rami to have some super studio....it looks like a basement like the rest of us!

;)

Back