Building Bass Traps, a chronology.

Absolutely superchunk that. Mopads only help with decoupling monitors from what they are sitting on so the stand/desk/whatever does not resonate. You are trying to deal with low end building up in corners. These are a huge part of the problem with peaks and dips in your test graph. Ideally, you want floor to ceiling bass trap in every corner. A big gobo would be better than nothing I suppose. IMO, I would superchunk your two possible corners, and make a rolling gobo for the other two. Another option could be to put panels floor to ceiling on the walls by the door, and mount a panel to the door itself. It will be no where near as efficient as a straddled corner or superchunk tho.

Ok I decided I would do the other corner completely with a superchunk and build two 4' free standing mobo superchunk corner traps. Sketchup is my bitch now.

Nice! One last thing, probably need to turn your cloud 90°. Seems you have now mastered that 'bitch'! Davish.....:D

Nice! One last thing, probably need to turn your cloud 90°. Seems you have now mastered that 'bitch'! Davish.....:D

I think I will have an extra panel - maybe a larger cloud is in order? Would a 4'x4' could be better? Think they would be better together or spread out across the ceiling?

Just had 6 of us play in my room for the first time since I installed 3 superchunks. It's makes a huuuuuuuuuuge freakin difference. Highly recommend.

Hold a mirror up there. You want a panel where you can see the monitors reflection from your listening position. :D

... a larger cloud ... better together or spread out across the ceiling?

For use as a cloud over the listening position, have them together.

If one is ample for the listening position and you use other parts of the room for recording then having the second one above where a microphone is will help reduce flutter echo.

Got my first case of Roxul this morning! Woohoo - time to get dirty. Not sure where I will keep the zombie...

studio4.png

Put him in the vocal room.

With a blood red ON AIR sign blinking!

As a side, I still wanna build a IN CASE OF ZOMBIES BREAK GLASS box for a shotgun or crowbar. Heh heh.

First Panel Completed.

1) Nail gun + 1 x 2"s with some 3/4 MDF corner triangles for stability
bt1.jpg

2) electric staple gun + some old breathable scrap fabric for a backing
bt2.jpg

3) Basic frame complete
bt3.jpg

4) Lay the fabric face down. stack 2 sheets of Rockwool, frame on top
bt4.jpg

5) Trim off the cover fabric and staple
bt5.jpg

6) The completed trap, covered in Halloween fabric to give it some character...
bt6.jpg

Thanks arcadeko, I now know what my next build will be. A back frame like you made, incorporating the corner bead for the front/sides to keep the traps 'sharp' edged. Actually, I may use 1 X 4's to pull them off the wall a bit. Thanks for the pix bro! :D

Thanks arcadeko, I now know what my next build will be. A back frame like you made, incorporating the corner bead for the front/sides to keep the traps 'sharp' edged. Actually, I may use 1 X 4's to pull them off the wall a bit. Thanks for the pix bro! :D

Cornerbead frame is definitely a good idea - I have two made but I am going to pick up some cornerbead tomorrow and do the rest with that - the Rockwall is too easily bent out of shape or crushed - it's so soft it needs some structure around it. I will post some pics of the new design tomorrow if all goes well.

I better make a gold record after all this :p

Even if it's a 'fools gold' record, It's money well spent bro. You will not be disappointed with this investment man. :D

Ok - Got one hung

bt7.jpg

Man - I dunno what I was thinking - they seem a lot bigger IRL than in Google Sketchup. My guitars are in the way for one of them, I am going to have to re-design some of these things smaller :X

Nice Arcadeko! I've always been too poor/lazy to buy or build bass traps! I'm jealous :D

Foam? Aaaarrrgghh!!!!! More high frequency absorption, like the carpet and the 2" traps. You will have everything trapping the top end and nothing that is trapping the bass. Your studio will sound awfully sucked and muddy, if you don't mind my saying so.

...which is why he's building bass traps, so calm down.

...which is why he's building bass traps, so calm down.

I said that pages back, when arcadeko was contemplating 2" traps, foam and carpet. I am really impressed with arcadeko's adjusting his plans in the light of new knowledge and all in just a couple of days.

Back