building a studio

dzara 4

Last year I bought an AW1600 ,crappy monitors and recorded. Traded it

in, upgraded to A Mac Pro, Logic, Fireface 800, etc . At this point I am a bit

curious as to where to go with my setup. These forums are fantastic but it

would be great for a far more experienced individual than myself could look

at my studio for a day or two and give me suggesstions on acoustic

treatment,utilizing my outboard the best way possible, Mic placement, etc.

Someone who could basically observe me working and than say "hey, there

might be a better way" . I know school is the obvious choice but I dont have

the money or time right now

Any suggestions ?

If you got so little out of owning a quality stand alone digital audio workstation like the AW1600 that you considered it a beginners unit you're not ready to try to conquer Logic.

Sounds to me like you want to buy what money has never been able to buy --- experience.

My advice is to spend time with a modest but capable recorder like this. Once you've wrung the best out of that machine you'll be ready to move on and will have a whole lot better idea of exactly where to go and exactly what you need.

dzara 4 said:
Any suggestions ?

I strongly suggest posting some stuff in the mp3 clinic. Its a great learning experience as a poster and a listener.

Traded it

in, upgraded to A Mac Pro, Logic, Fireface 800, etc .

These are powerful tools. You should be able to make/record some nice stuff with this stuff. If you cant, I would figure out how to use this before going on. Sometimes I find that the emphasis around here is on gear and treatment. It should be on MUSIC first, then when you are getting good results, the gear just makes it a lil sweeter.

ssscientist said:
If you got so little out of owning a quality stand alone digital audio workstation like the AW1600 that you considered it a beginners unit you're not ready to try to conquer Logic.

Sounds to me like you want to buy what money has never been able to buy --- experience.

My advice is to spend time with a modest but capable recorder like this. Once you've wrung the best out of that machine you'll be ready to move on and will have a whole lot better idea of exactly where to go and exactly what you need.

scientist slipped in while I was typing. I think he is saying about the same thing I did. You can go a LONG way with the absolute basics. :cool:

I actually benefited greatly from the AW1600 and Logic seemed to be the most natural progression which after a month or so is not that hard to conquer. The recordings I have done I am very pleased with but I always see room for improvement. The mp3 clinic sounds cool thanks for the suggestion.

I can only pile on. Record as much as you can. Experience can ring better results out of the cheapest gear than a wanker with a Helios and a 2".

Back