Building a Studio

nicity

Me and a couple of friends, decided it was time we build our own studio from the ground up, we got a space and all, but i was wondering what are things that newcomers tend to forget when they're building the studio? Any advice would be appreciated

i'd suggest popping by the board over at johnlsayers.com and posting there....

be sure to include the dimensions of your room...budget...what you are looking to get out of it (a mix room and a live room??..any booths??)

and im sure they'll help you slap together a terrific plan

Add at least twice as many electrical outlets as you think you will ever need.
Remember, keeping sound out is what "soundproofing" is for.
Room treatment is what you do to make the room sound good from the inside.
Warn your neighbors of what you are planning to do.
Be prepaired to spend more than your original budget.
The rest will become obvious as you progress.

it's not as obvious as you think...

nothing can replace the value of actually spending time and learning about what you are really supposed to do...

do you know what a three leaf wall structure is? is it good or bad?
floating a floor?
resilient channel?
what sort of insulation? fluffy pink shit? mineral wool?

Depends on whether he wants to go balls out the correct, professional way and has the budget to do it or wants to build something better than a four-walled square room and be happy with it. Have the stuff recommended in here is for the very rich and doesn't accurately represent most home enthusiasts' desires or budgets. Resilient channel, for one, is very expensive.

Nicity, there are more options than you may be lead to believe here, but yes, do searches first. Don't think you have to do everything here or it is not worth your time to do anything at all. That is not true, but if you have the budget and really want to 'build it like a pro', the information is in this forum as well as www.johnlsayers.com and www.ethanwiner.com , two good sources.
Dani Pace hit on some good basics.

well...in response to the first question i will say this :P

something most people forget is to realize their exact needs before construction! it costs substantially less to build something right once than to build it wrong once...then right again in a few months!

Any advice would be appreciated
A visit to your local Building Inspection Department first would be smart. Find out the site/zoneing restrictions. Once building dimension/egress/setback limits are known, then you have a firm foundation on the orientation/size limits.(among other things.)

Then define the parameters of your isolation requirements. Design to meet the requirement within the restriction parameters, and analyze the cost. If it meets your budget, then proceed to the permit process.

Let me say this though. Defining isolation requirements is a lesson in brutal reality checks. Isolating high SPL drums/low frequency from close proximity neighbors, and meeting local sound ordinance code is no easy task, especially for one who is uninitiated in the physics aspects of high transmission loss construction. Neither is designing the assemblies that will meet these criteria.

Do yourself a favor and read these little "diarys" of DIY studios. They should illustrate the hard realitys. Although these arn't from the "ground up", they do illustrate the physics aspects and somewhat the legal aspect as it relates to the permit process.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=107&start=0

One last thing. Some people here may dismiss my opinion as unwarranted bullshit. Could be. Hard to say at this point. However, if you can afford do fly by the seat of your pants and fail...ain't my problem. I tried to inform you.
Of course you COULD buy Rods Gervais book first and be REALLY informed. :)

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1598630342/ref=pe_snp_342
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
A visit to your local Building Inspection Department first would be smart. Find out the site/zoneing restrictions. Once building dimension/egress/setback limits are known, then you have a firm foundation on the orientation/size limits.(among other things.)

Not everyone gets permits, and some probably don't need to in actuality, but for construction everyone is supposed to by law. Really depends on the reality of where you live and your particular situation. Permits are required to insure safety, so they are good, but depends on where you live and how much construction knowledge and experience you actually have, whether you are building yourself and not hiring a GC (who will take care of the permitting for you once you get past the design stage) or subbing the tasks out. Before you go in to your local Building Dept, educate yourself a little by searching out your local Code on this link. www.municode.com Although bound information is available for purchase, it should be free if you click at the top menu bar on "online library". I've only accessed it when I worked for the City and here at the design firm I currently work for, so it may be free because they both purchased the licenses, but I believe it is free to others as well. From the online library, choose your state and then your city, and have fun perusing the wonderful world of Codes of Ordinances :D (I do this as part of my job and I know it will seem overwhelming at first, but use the search box with key words and you can usually get to where you need to be).

If you can provide a little more background, folks here can better understand your situation and better guide you. ;)

this is pretty much what the place looks like.
pretty much about 100 sq. meters

stairs are on the left, and we're thinking about seperating it where the pillar is the bottom right being the recording room with all the equipment, and the top right the control room.

we're gonna use plasterboards and mineral wool, to build the walls and soundproof em.

i don't think we're gonna have a problem with the neighbors cause on top of us are a couple of stores and on the 1rst floor are apartments, and we're in the basement

and again thanks for the help

Attachments

• space.JPG
    space.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 89
you should try your best not to make the room not have perfectly parallel walls...

that'll result in a lot of standing waves...which are bad.

Ah, so the structure is already there. I perceived "from the ground up" as you may be building a new stand-alone structure with a studio inside. Well, it seems that not much sound is going to bother outsiders from the floor and walls, anyway :) I would guess it is masonry construction, the walls (took me a long time to come to that conclusion, btw :D ) so you are going to have a little reverb chamber until you build the inner walls, floor and ceiling, if that is your intent. Wish I had your problem :)

we're gonna use plasterboards and mineral wool, to build the walls and soundproof em.
Hello nicity. So your studio is in the basement of a multi-use/zoned building with people living above it in apartments? If so, do you own this building? The reason I ask is fairly important. Let me know ok?
fitZ

We don't own the building were just gonna be renting the space, the building is an apartment building with stores on the ground floor.

Back