Building a studio...what should I buy

nyaben

I already have a Pentium III, 350 Mhz computer with Windows 98, 128 MB Memory. Should I proceed with computer options or go with Roland VS880EX? The Roland is, ostensibly, a money-saver if the mic modeling and built-in effects are good.

Thanks

The Roland unit is a great. The in built features and effects are great but I'm not sure about spending another thousand plus dollars when you already have a great PC setup. Go get a good sound card and a sequencing software and you are in action.

If price is not a consideration then I think the difference is in the ergonomics. You should try to get a sequence software demo (like the Cakewalk) and use your existing cheap soundcard to do some trial recording and mixing with it. If you like how it works, there you have it .. maybe the grass may not be a lot better on the other side. But if you hate how it works, consider the Roland unit. I think its a great unit with great in build features.

The Roland unit is a great. The in built features and effects are great but I'm not sure about spending another thousand plus dollars when you already have a great PC setup. Go get a good sound card and a sequencing software and you are in action.

If price is not a consideration then I think the difference is in the ergonomics. You should try to get a sequence software demo (like the Cakewalk) and use your existing cheap soundcard to do some trial recording and mixing with it. If you like how it works, there you have it .. maybe the grass may not be a lot better on the other side. But if you hate how it works, consider the Roland unit. I think its a great unit with great in build features.

I cant imagine anybody buying anything except a computer recording setup for thier home studio. Its soooooo cool and has so much flexibility. Whats the best thing about computers? SOFTWARE. well why not keep all options open and record with your computer.
Check out the for sale section in this bbs. you may find something you can use.

Back