Building a studio in a small room

psihobambi

After making a lot of music, time has come to mix and master it. So I bought Tannoy 501a just for starters, and to get the best out of it I need to acoustically treat my room. Now.. my room is 2.8m x 3.6m x 2.8m(height).-walls (bricks).. 1. wall [Doors, bed, few pictures on it] 2. wall [Pretty huge cloth cabinet, computer desk(where monitors will be)] 3. wall [widnow with curtains] 4. is worst (behind monitors) one bed is fully streched there and the one from the 1. wall is just a bit there (i dont know if you get it, meh). So there's pretty much nothing behind me. Oh and carpet is on the floor, few chairs, microphone stand etc.
I dont really have much of a budget, but any suggestions will come handy. Is mixing even possible in this kind of room ? (Hip Hop, Ambiental). Thanks!

I am planning on placing 4 bass traps in the room. 2 in 2 upper tri-corners and 2 randomly (probably one on the ceiling and one on the wall). As I am pretty sure that I won't be having any problems with mid and high freqs.

I am planning on placing 4 bass traps in the room. 2 in 2 upper tri-corners and 2 randomly (probably one on the ceiling and one on the wall). As I am pretty sure that I won't be having any problems with mid and high freqs.
You'll need a lot more than that in a room that size. The smaller the room, the more trapping you'll need. I would put the 4 traps in the 4 corners first, then you'll have your first reflection points and above your listening area to worry about. For starters.

Okay, thanks. I'll order fiberglass insulation in few days. Any new suggestions are welcome. (sorry for my english)

Four bass traps will be a good start, but since the room is both small and brick, will be definitely not enough.
High frequency problems are harder to notice and so I can see why you don't think you'll have problems. High frequencies don't cause standing waves or etc. But flutter echo can definitely impact your mixes (and it's simply just annoying when you're trying to dial in reverb, delay, etc). Also, as stated above, first reflection points will really make a huge difference too. You can check out our primer for more info on the important areas to treat and how to go about it: Room Acoustics Primer |

Back