building a strat...help!!

TKO Ken

Hello all
I'm thinking of building a strat from parts on eBay, you know...(parts-o-caster) :D and I can't get past the first step :confused: what's the difference between a squire body and a standard strat body? Is the squire slightly smaller? and you've got made in Japan, Mexico, USA :eek: where do I start?

your biggest issues will honestly be the routing, pickguard holes, neck and etc. I'm currently working on my first parts-o-caster. I got a ash body off of ebay that was stated to be American, but the pick guard screw holes don't line up, and it has the 6 screw tremelo mount instead of 2. Yeah, you can drill it, no big deal...just another step. Check out www.warmoth.com and www.stewmac.com you can learn alot there.

stewmac is cool, I've been refinishing a Washburn SBF-24 for the past two months and I've gotten a bunch of stuff from them.

get your checkbook out then.

The only Fender parts I actually got was the body, pickguard screws, and jack plate.

As has already been mentioned, USA Custom and also Warmoth are going to get you the best quality parts, much better than with Fender parts. You also don't have to pay for the Fender name, which can be EXTREMLY expensive, particularly on Ebay.

There are lots of other, cheaper places to get parts as well. Do a little more research into it before you settle on Ebay parts. And take a LONG look at USA Custom. Their parts are expensive, yes, but they are well worth the cost.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I thought the main difference between the 'cheaper' Squire guitars was the wood. I believe Squire uses Poplar while 'real' strats use Alder or Ash. I's stray away from Poplar or Basswood.

I'm not sure if Squire is smaller, but there may be a difference in the Contour.

Sirnothingness said:
I thought the main difference between the 'cheaper' Squire guitars was the wood. I believe Squire uses Poplar while 'real' strats use Alder or Ash. I's stray away from Poplar or Basswood.

I'm not sure if Squire is smaller, but there may be a difference in the Contour.

Long before Fender had come up with the idea of Squire they used poplar, and as far as Genuine Fender parts go, they most likely outsource their components anyway, Light could throw some light(no pun intended) on this but from a tooling and diemaking perspective it would make sense to get a plastics manufacturer to make all the plastic and so on. I used to work for Scubapro in LA and all their parts for their dive gear was made elsewhere, all they did was assemble.

Clive Hugh said:
Long before Fender had come up with the idea of Squire they used poplar, and as far as Genuine Fender parts go, they most likely outsource their components anyway, Light could throw some light(no pun intended) on this but from a tooling and diemaking perspective it would make sense to get a plastics manufacturer to make all the plastic and so on. I used to work for Scubapro in LA and all their parts for their dive gear was made elsewhere, all they did was assemble.

Nah, Fender makes almost all of their own stuff. Well, all the American stuff. The pickguards and stuff may be made for them overseas, but I can't say for sure. They USED to use Japanese and Mexican bodies for the American made stuff, but not anymore. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Fender, as there are people who do work which is at least as good for less money, or who do much better work for the same money.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've been in touch with a luthier reguarding "Squire" strats and his advice to me was..."As far as other Squires go the Affinity series are strat size but 1/4 inch thinner. The Standard Squire Stratocaster body is full size. Most of the newer bullet bodies are plywood, stay clear of those. After market bodies are normally full size. There are many other subtle differences but that should get you started anyway. Main thing to ask a seller are 'Is it solid wood or plywood' and 'what are the neck pocket dimentions' They should be 2 3/16 X 3 inches."
The main reason for me wanting to go with a fender body is finding a pickguard that fits with all the screw holes lining up correctly.
Thanks for all the great info..it all helps greatly, thanks

Some other things I noticed in the course of upgrading my squire strat. The body is routed differently, depending on which model and vintage. A lot have the "swimming pool" pickup route, which is just a big rectangular section hacked out for all three pickups. Also my electronics pocket wasn't routed deep enough to allow a Fender standard 5-way switch. The pickguard did not accept standard sized pickups (fat 50's in particular), the holes were too small and the screw holes didn't line up. This force me to use an aftermarket pickguard, which of course didn't line up with the holes on the body.

I would try to find a ratted out strat that already has a neck matched to a body.
That way you can do all the hardware, the pickups and the paint....and not really have to worry about doing extensive wood work on the neck pocket.
Try to find a fender strat that is not mexican...because the strings are spaced differently on the mex strats. American cold rolled steel blocks and trem assemblies won't line up with the screw holes in the mex bodies (unless it's a vintage mex body) like the 50's, 60's, 70's, or the jimmy vaughn strat.

Just my 2 cents....kind of a "been there done that" kind of thing ya know.

Good luck bro.

Back