Building a RIBBON mic?

Jeremy Clarkson

I think really it would be pretty easy since they technology is basic?
Just need to make the chassis and then get a transformer and aluminum thin, xlr plug, and magnets.

Could you give me any advice on this?

What transformer to use?

What would make my mic an amazing sounding one or a bad sounding one?

i saw someone on another forum? tape op perhaps? who was doing this...........hmmmmm if i remember i'll post a link, anyone else remember?

What is OP original poster?

yeah that seems like it'd be the most difficult part but the material is cheap so it's ok if it rips a couple times

what about the transformer what type/brand should I use?

At the price you can buy on of these, I would just get one and do the mods that he has on his web site, in fact that's exactly what I did, I own 2.

Cheers
Alan.

I believe, with all its seeming simplicity the ribbon technology is pretty complicated (of course, if to do it right and if the designer knows what s/he is doing), so cannot give much advice on the first part.
As far as the second part is concerned,

What would make my mic an amazing sounding one

Lotsa reading, thinking, analyzing, and comparison, esp. in regards to the right microphone placement and room treatment (i.e. it takes a good engineer).

or a bad sounding one?

Opposite to the above, i.e. particularly lousy engineer... in addition to bad drummers, singers (or for that matter, any other performers).

Hope that's of help.

Best, M

I think really it would be pretty easy since they technology is basic?
Just need to make the chassis and then get a transformer and aluminum thin, xlr plug, and magnets.
What would make my mic an amazing sounding one or a bad sounding one?

It won't be easy. And it will probably sound terrible.
But I still encourage you to try it.

what about the transformer what type/brand should I use?

If you are considering a project like this, then I'm assuming you've disassembled a number of other microphones before. Try cobbling something together from leftover parts. Start with a transformer from another mic, then swap it out with a different one and see how it changes the response/sound.

Back