Building a pc - what do you think?

hnia6

I got some advice on building a computer. I need a very good processor. I use Cubase 6 Artist and have an M-Audio FTP, which I might switch for a Tascam US-600. I use W7 Home Premium. I want a very good audio card to connect my home stereo. I've been using an internal sound card for my stereo and the M-Audio FTP for recording. I'm particularly interested to know if I have the right gear below. Please tell me what you think. The total cost has me around $1200.

Intel Core i7 2600K (3.40GHz - Sandy Bridge)
EVGA X58 SLI3 S1366 Motherboard
Kingston or Pioneer DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Dual RAM
Hitachi 2TB SATA 3.5" ATA/300 (7200rmp, 32mb)
Corsair CC 600T Box
Antec HGC-750 (750w) 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64bit
D-Link DWA-552 N PCI
ASUS 24X Internal DVDRW (SATA)
nVidia GT220 (1GB) Video Card (from another PC)
Creative Titanium Fatality Pro Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio Card (has optical for connecting my receiver) or....
M-Audio Audiophile 192 (192kHz - 24bit)

Am I missing anything critical? Is there a better motherboard for about $150 for audio recording? Is there a better internal audio card for about $100 than the two I listed?

Last edited:
How do you mean on the SB Soundcard - don't use an internal at all or just that one? Which of the two do you belive is better? I'm not looking for effects or other bells and whistles on the sound card. Media Player has an EQ and I want more of the receiver's true sound, but just the highest quality sound possible. Are you suggesting I run both the receiver and the DAW off the M-Audio FTP?

Does your i7 exceed your needs? Do you find yourself taxing yours?

For some reason, my computer store rep said "everyone from guitar center comes here and specifically asks for the EVGA motherboard." Neither he or I knew why, but it was interesting to note. Anyone know what's so special about that board?

For stereo playback, an excellent sound card it the Asus Xonar Essence ST. Rated very highly by Stereophile magazine (if that is important to you), and from my experience, the sound is very good. The Xonar Essence ST is PCI, and the Xonar Essence STX is PCIe. The ST evidently has more sophisticated clocking. However, you will need to make sure that your motherboard supports PCI.

This card will not replace a multi-channel audio capture interface, but is a great option for music play back.

Paul

I got some advice on building a computer. I need a very good processor. I use Cubase 6 Artist and have an M-Audio FTP, which I might switch for a Tascam US-600. I use W7 Home Premium. I want a very good audio card to connect my home stereo. I've been using an internal sound card for my stereo and the M-Audio FTP for recording. I'm particularly interested to know if I have the right gear below. Please tell me what you think. The total cost has me around $1200.

Intel Core i7 2600K (3.40GHz - Sandy Bridge)
EVGA X58 SLI3 S1366 Motherboard
Kingston or Pioneer DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Dual RAM
Hitachi 2TB SATA 3.5" ATA/300 (7200rmp, 32mb)
Corsair CC 600T Box
Antec HGC-750 (750w) 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64bit
D-Link DWA-552 N PCI
ASUS 24X Internal DVDRW (SATA)
nVidia GT220 (1GB) Video Card (from another PC)
Creative Titanium Fatality Pro Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio Card (has optical for connecting my receiver) or....
M-Audio Audiophile 192 (192kHz - 24bit)

Am I missing anything critical? Is there a better motherboard for about $150 for audio recording? Is there a better internal audio card for about $100 than the two I listed?

The i7 2600K is an 1155 chipset. The mobo is a 1366. These are not compatible. If you buy them both, they will not work, and could possibly damage one or both the pieces of equipment. Look at the Z68 boards, rather than X58. That should solve your problem. =]

The other has already been mentioned by everyone. Seriously, todays mobos come with great built in surround sound cards for your watching of youtube vids or a casual listen to some music. Don't waste your money on some fancy thing that will do the exact same. Save that money for a better interface, so you can record your music with greater quality and/or features.

I repeat to make sure you get it though. That CPU and MOBO are NOT COMPATIBLE.

EDIT: I'll also add that a CPU cooler could do you some good. Stock coolers are never all that great. The Corsair H50 is the one I use. It should be pretty cheap. It becomes pretty much needed if you plan on trying to overclock too. Which, with a K version of the CPU, that's the whole reason to get one. Otherwise, you'd be just as good saving a few pennies on the version without the K [and without overclock ability]

geez; thanks babe! kinda irritates me that a Fry's "expert" didn't catch that mobo/processor incomatibility. He said the mobo didn't come with sound. i'll look at your recommendations.

Here's what I'm looking at which saves me $160 as it has sound and video and costs less than the wrong mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781

Again, the only thing I care about on the sound PCI is highest quality sound going out through my receiver. Are you saying the card quality (basic v. elaborate) has no impact on such a need? Just want to make sure I understand.

Is there anything else that would better serve recording and playback quality?

Last edited:
REVISED:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $120

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $300

Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155: Electronics

Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - $40

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...O5C0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330923381&sr=8-1

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $130

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - White $165

Amazon.com: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - White: Electronics

Going with mobo's onboard sound. No onboard video; will use my nVidia GT220. What do you think?

REVISED:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $120

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $300

Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155: Electronics

Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - $40

Amazon.com: Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX: Electronics

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $130

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - White $165

Amazon.com: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - White: Electronics

Going with mobo's onboard sound. No onboard video; will use my nVidia GT220. What do you think?

You may look at 2 separate hard drives. One as your main drive and programmes, the other for your plugins and samples. Ends up working faster, because you don't have one drive trying to both run the programme and all the plug ins.

I assume you mean you won't be using the on board video, because of the 220, rather than it doesn't have any. Because it does if you need it. =P Your 220 will add more to gaming if you do much of that though. Also takes a bit less load off system RAM used for graphics, as it has its own.

and your audio interface will bypass on board sound when used for recording. It is its own sound card. The on board audio, as I mentioned before, is just for general use. That particular board comes with surround sound card too. Which is great for gaming and films. [and sometimes even listening music when people actually record in surround sound. =P]

Sounds like a good set up though. Remember to add any SATA cables to your basket for hard drives and CD/DVD drives. Seems simple, but it's often easy to forget about such little things. Without them, you wouldn't be able to run your computer. =P

I want to be able to isolate the monitors for recording and recording playback while using the DAW. I want to also use the stereo to test play music without using the monitors. I could be wrong, but if I hook up the stereo to the FTP, then everything played will come out of all speakers.... I think.... if the stereo is turned on.

Back