Building a PC based home studio?????

bandit33

I am ready to do it. But where do I start, I have a P3 600, 30 gig HD, 128 ram, with a SBlive 5.1 sound card, M-audio buddy mic and guitar preamp and an awesome yamaha acoustic guitar with pick-up. as far as the mic goes, would a shure sm-58 mic be a good choice for home recording. what about a pair of good monitors for under $350. and do I need an amp or compressor for this and how do they hook into my soundcard. I new at the studio thing. Thanx for your time!!! you guys rule!!! bandit33

SM58 will be a good starting mic for vocals, or the SM-57 will be more versatile...

if you have the budget, can get some budget condensor as well like the Rode NT1 or Studio projects C1.

if you don't already have a speaker amp, then go for powered bi-amp speakers.... personally, I am using a pair of Yamaha MSP5 ($480 a pair)

:)

Hey bandit33.

About 1and a half yrs. ago I did exactly what you're about to do. I tried out both the SM58 and the SM57 and got the SM57. But I agree with Leeking, it depends on what exactly you want to record with the mic. If it's just vocals, I thought the SM58 was better. If you want to record vocals and the guitar, the SM57 was the better mic. For me, miking the acst. guitar and mixing it with the direct signal sounded better than just the direct acst. guitar.

You will most likely end up wanting a compressor but you don't need one to record. If you get one, it has to go after the preamp (in your case the M-audio buddy). I'm not familiar with the M-audio buddy, so I don't know if you can hook it up between the preamp and your soundcard. But that's where it needs to be. If so, then look at the RNC (Really Nice Compressor) by FMR. I've heard lots of great things about them and no negatives.

Hope this helps!

monitors or a Pa system

how do I hook a pair of powered monitors into the back of my sblive card or should I just go for a good pa system???

yup...and don't skimp there. Monitors make all the difference! You might want to check out the new JBL LSR25P's. I hear they are great for a PC set up. (gunna get mine soon!!)

If you have to choose between a 57 and 58...go for the 57...it's more versatile and you will eventually want a condenser anyway. I've got a AT 4033...great all around use nice sounding condenser.

The other thing you might want down the road is a better soundcard...but the SB live will get ya started.

zip >>

Back