building a new studio and have a few questions...

816matt

I'm getting ready to start building a studio in my basement. I have done several recordings but have been learning techniques to progress to the next level. I have enough space to build a good size isolation and control room. I run a mac set-up and a focusrite pro 26.

I have a few questions in regards to the construction of the rooms and would appreciate any info i could get in regards...

First question that I am battling and been trying to figure out is, What is the best way to run cables from iso to control, on a permanent basis. I would like something clean looking like a snake of sorts to be mounted in iso and just plug into, but the shortest snake i can find with a box is 50ft, which is way too much for me. Any suggestions?

Next as far as the room in general goes, what would be the best insulation to reduce outside noise as much as possible? It will be concrete on 2 sides to start and on from there.

Lastly for now (as I'm sure I will come up with other questions along the way) would building in permanent bass traps in the corners make any sense?

I understand the game and the steps to create good recordings, and am just now in my life able to build a home studio so I am new to this aspect... any help or direction anyone can provide would be great.

Thanks All
Matt

Last edited:
First question that I am battling and been trying to figure out is, What is the best way to run cables from iso to control, on a permanent basis. I would like something clean looking like a snake of sorts to be mounted in iso and just plug into, but the shortest snake i can find with a box is 50ft, which is way too much for me. Any suggestions?
If you're handy with a soldering iron, in-wall cabling with wall mounted XLR (mic) and TRS (headphone) jack plates are nice and clean. You can get multi-conductor Mogami cable fairly inexpensively compared to what a pre-made snake will cost.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, in-wall cabling with wall mounted XLR (mic) and TRS (headphone) jack plates are nice and clean. You can get multi-conductor Mogami cable fairly inexpensively compared to what a pre-made snake will cost.

Good answer. Point-to-point cable terminated on site is the way to do it. I'd suggest that you go with Belden cable though, not Mogami. I mean, Mogami is fine, but it's way, waaaaaay too expensive for what it is. Belden is every bit as good, and it'll be literally 1/10th the price. Look for Belden 3-conductor mic cable or line level cable.

Frank

Back