Building a new music PC. Comments and suggestions please!

toka

Hey!

My friend is building a new music PC. I need comments and suggestions on this setup he have choosen:

Soundcard: M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 400 MHz fsb
Motherboard: Asus A7V600
Memory: 2*512 MB DDR PC3200
Harddrives: 2* Maxtor 120GB Plus9, 8MB cache
Graphic card: HIS ATi Radeon 9600
CPU Cooler: Slim Silent Pro
Chassi: Chieftec BX-02B-B-B
Chassi fan: 2* Papst 80mm (80x80x25x)
DVD burner: NEC DVD brännare multiDVD

What do you think of this setup? Please come with tips and suggestions.

//toka

sounds good man, should work out ok, those 2 120 gig hard drives should come in handy for sure :)
the only thing you may want to consider is if you are not using a mixer for 1/4 inch jacks (mics, instruments, etc), the audiophile wont be able to use 1/4 jacks, it only uses RCA and midi
but if you have a mixer that will run into the audiophile to record everything you should be set

you into Loop Troop by chance?, they are one of my favorite groups from sweden

peace
LB

Cool!

Cool!, New music recording PC.. awesome. I wish I was building a new one, I just have my ol Mac laptop!

there is such a thing as an external soundcard right?

i'd get a better soundcard with that, look higher up the m-audio range. breakout boxes can reduce magnetic noise and more i/os give you more space to expand into. other than that - wicked! if you're going to put all your music files on one drive, why have two equal ones? have a smaller one for windows and a larger one for storage? just a thought.

joshhorn, you can get USB versions of the audiophile and some other cards for not much more than the internal ones. go get!

noisedude said:
i'd get a better soundcard with that, look higher up the m-audio range. breakout boxes can reduce magnetic noise
Not necessarily. The --highly-- praised Lynx One soundcard has it all on the card internally. Furthermore do the Delta 44/66 cards still have the converters on the PCI card and run the signals unbalanced from the breakout box to the card and back. And speaking of connectivity: They don't have midi i/o which may be something toka needs.
The audiophile is a very nice card (I have one) and the first real step up from that in the M-audio range would be the 1010 but that's a different league money-wise as well.

yeah i didn't say it did reduce noise, as you quoted i said it can. if you put it next to a CRT monitor it's gonna be pointless anyway!

i disagree about your comments on the delta range, but only in terms of my own uses. i found the delta 44 to be much more of what i wanted from a card than the AP so i took that instead. in my judgement for my uses i think it's a much better card to have. so check your needs and buy accordingly - um, you may already have done that and settled on the AP ... in which case ... sorry :(

Back