Building a new computer

AndrewClaycomb

This is my first build, so I'm checking with everybody here to see how I'm doing. I plan on using XP service pack 3. My interface is a Presonus Firepod with an Art DPS II running in through the S/PDIF. I also use a Western Digital MyBook firewire 320 gig external hard drive.

Let me know if something looks bad.

-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard [w/ TI firewire built in (1x 6-pin, and 1x 4-pin)]
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
-4 gigs of DDR2 RAM
-SAPPHIRE 100165L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card (Dual video output)
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
-Rosewill R103A Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply
-2 19" widescreen LCD monitors

Why do I need a bigger power supply? Is there a way to know how much power the computer will need? And as far as budgets go, I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. The way it's currently configured as around the top of my budget. If I could get a less expensive power supply I might be able to swing it, or maybe upgrade to the larger power supply later on if I can get away with 350 watts.

Looks like you got yourself a really nice computer in the works!

I second what Buck says, youll prob want a min of 500w on your power supply, and a quiet one. The one Buck picked out is a great price and looks really good.

Maybe one other thing Id suggest is an external harddrive, so in case your comp crashes, you wont lose all your hard work.:)

Good luck with everything man!!

I already have an external 320 gig 7200RPM firewire drive I've been using. If I go this route would I be better off recording directly to the internal drive instead of the external like I have been doing? I was always under the impression it used fewer resources recording to an external drive.

Why do I need a bigger power supply? Is there a way to know how much power the computer will need? And as far as budgets go, I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. The way it's currently configured as around the top of my budget. If I could get a less expensive power supply I might be able to swing it, or maybe upgrade to the larger power supply later on if I can get away with 350 watts.

You'll get by with 350 for now. Just when it comes time to upgrade things, they always require more power, so sooner or later your gonna need more then that 350. Remember it's always good to have more power then needed. From the looks of everything I thought you were going for something on the cheaper side but still being up there in specs. :)

I already have an external 320 gig 7200RPM firewire drive I've been using. If I go this route would I be better off recording directly to the internal drive instead of the external like I have been doing? I was always under the impression it used fewer resources recording to an external drive.

Oh my bad man, I didnt catch that..

Well I honestly dont know, and dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, but I guess maybe just do what has worked for you so far..?

..Unless someone else tells you otherwise:p

I think your pretty set tho!

You'll get by with 350 for now. Just when it comes time to upgrade things, they always require more power, so sooner or later your gonna need more then that 350. Remember it's always good to have more power then needed. From the looks of everything I thought you were going for something on the cheaper side but still being up there in specs. :)

To be honest, with the setup you have listed, 350w is much more than enough. I agree the Antec will be a lot more efficient (above 80%), but it is not necessary to get more than what will come with the case.

The power supply will not be the greatest, may not last as long as something more expensive and definitely will waste more energy however, it will provide more than enough power for your rig.

With all of that said, I am running the Antec 450VX and am very happy with it. My computer is similar to yours except I am running an 8800GT which is more or a power hog than the 1650 pro.

You are under the incorrect impression. ;) I would recommend recording to your internal hard drive and using the external for backups or for taking you work with you. I would also recommend getting some kind of backup software and keeping the backups on the external drive. Make sure you're never in a situation where your work is on only one drive. When you're done for the day, copy your new work out to the external drive.

The only change I would make to your computer is to get a 1TB hard drive rather than a 320GB. Eventually, you will fill 320GB and the difference in price is almost nothing.

do not skimp on a psu.

get at least 500w.

and theres a difference between a generic 500w and say thermaltake 500w.

spend around at least £30 imo

Back