Building a Les Paul style guitar

That's 12 minutes and 12 seconds of my life that I thoroughly enjoyed! Excellent work--I'm so impressed!

I inlayed my name into the headstock. Hey, I built it, right??

BOUDREAU? Hey, cuz! My last name is... BOUDREAUX! As you lack the "X," I assume you are in either Canada or Boston? I am from SW Louisiana- family hails from Carencro.

Nice build. I am not feeling (at all) the black burst top- when I saw the pic of that beautiful top, right before the burst pics, I started thinking "Nooooooo!" But the rest of it looks good.

Two questions that stem from my incomplete understanding of tone woods- perhaps someone can answer them for me:

1. Poplar? Why? I've worked with poplar, like many have (I think it gets it's name from being so, ahem, "pop'lar) and I like the wood, but my understanding is it a poorish tone wood. On the other hand, IMO, with the exception of using a very dense wood (like mahogany) to aid in sustain, electrics are just slabs of wood, so who cares? :)

2. That was a pretty piece of BM flamed maple- couldn't you have use a much thinner veneer and had enough of that piece for several guitar tops? If using a thin veneer, one can carve the top of the base wood, and bend/glue the veneer over that. Is there any reason one would not want to do that?

BOUDREAU? Hey, cuz! My last name is... BOUDREAUX! As you lack the "X," I assume you are in either Canada or Boston? I am from SW Louisiana- family hails from Carencro.

Nice build. I am not feeling (at all) the black burst top- when I saw the pic of that beautiful top, right before the burst pics, I started thinking "Nooooooo!" But the rest of it looks good.
The top really wasn't all that wonderfil so, I decided to burst it.

This one, on the other hand is really nice. and I'm leaving it alone. My 2nd build.;)
tkojams-albums-lp-special-build-picture33462-stain1.jpg

Two questions that stem from my incomplete understanding of tone woods- perhaps someone can answer them for me:

1. Poplar? Why? I've worked with poplar, like many have (I think it gets it's name from being so, ahem, "pop'lar) and I like the wood, but my understanding is it a poorish tone wood. On the other hand, IMO, with the exception of using a very dense wood (like mahogany) to aid in sustain, electrics are just slabs of wood, so who cares? :)

This was a pratice build, my first attempt and I didn't want to screw up an $80.00 piece of mahogony.:eek:

2. That was a pretty piece of BM flamed maple- couldn't you have use a much thinner veneer and had enough of that piece for several guitar tops? If using a thin veneer, one can carve the top of the base wood, and bend/glue the veneer over that. Is there any reason one would not want to do that?

I was following plans that were based on a 1959 Gibson Les Paul and that's how they were made. With a thin veneer you really don't gain any of the tonal qualities of the Maple. It would be just about looks and not tone.;)

That's funny, you are correct, my family was from Canada and I live in Connecticut. Pretty close to boston.:D

Back