Build me a DAW !!

PapillonIrl

Ok, blue screen hassles have been driving me gaga... process of elimination

brings me to the conclusion that my UAD cards are causing them...they just don't

appear to be playing nice with my chipset. The only other possible thing left is

faulty RAM, even though mem test found nothing wrong...I've order new RAM

anyway, and if problems persist I will sell my machine and build a new one. I have

a cash buyer who won't be using current machine for a DAW, so he should be fine.

Bear in mind I will be using Samplitude 8.11, Win XP, and UAD-1 cards. So I would

be VERY interested in hearing from peope with that setup running smoothly.

What I need:

A motherboard with proven reliability for audio. Asus ?

Athlon Xp ? Pent 4 ? Advise here appreciated.

A decent amount of PCI slots, current machine has 3.

Good power supply.

Mirrored hard drives ? I like this idea, paranoid about data loss.

Quiet is good, a lot of money on super-quiet stuff unnecessary. I don't record in

the control room, and I can live with a little noise when mixing.

DVD Burner

Video card (IF IT HELPS PERFORMANCE, DOESN'TCAUSE HASSSLE AND PLAYS NICE !)

What I don't need:

I have a HD to use as a system drive.

I have two 1024MB 400 DDR RAM modules

Operating System

FW and USB 2 cards

Help me out ?

Nathan

Processor: AMD64 939
Motherboard: MSI, ASUS, DFI...should work fine
PSU: Seasonic S12 430 should be plenty and very quiet
DVD Burner: NEC makes good burners

Look at newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, monarchcomputers.com, outpost.com, directron.com, svc.com....for the best prices.

get a motherboard with SATA raid built into the chipset (try the nvidia 4 chipset). then get yourself 2 120gb sata drives for your audio storage and mirror them.

i also recommend an amd athlon 64 with the 939 socket type. reason being is that the dual core processors will be 939 compatable when they are available. after the prices drop you can upgrade the athlon 64 to a dual core x2 and BAM! instant dual processor DAW.

i wouldn't go with the A8N-SLI, unless you plan on running high end games or video editing on the machine as well. get the regular A8N like whattaguy suggested.

if you use a firewire interface get a gigabyte mobo and save yourself a lot of pain...the built in firewire is great.

i have:

athlon 939 3500
2 gigs of dual channel RAM
gigabyte k8ns ultra
3 HDs all 7200.
win XP

Back