Build a cabinet for 38-8???

MartyMcFly

Hey,
I am looking into building myself a cabinet for my Tascam 38 and NR units. I am thinking I will go with wood. I have found a perfect base already prebuilt an Mills Fleet Farm. I believe it will be perfect. It is 18" accross and I believe 30 inches deep.
Anyway I plan on fixing the angle of the R2R so that it is just at a slight tilt. I also want to have at least 2 rackspaces for NR units.
Overall I want the thing to be at a low level so its accessable from a chair or the floor.
I know what I want for the overall design but I think 2X4's are too big. What should I use? I was thinking I could build it like a cabinet. Lighter but still strong.
Any idea are welcome...

sounds like a plan to me.
Now for your question "What should I use? "
Use for what exactly? Do you mean you've got some sort of wooden case already and now thinking of building the base/legs or something like that for it.
Pine is great material and it is easy to work with material and less expansive, but to build something strong using pine you 'd need to think through how exactly to put pieces together, what type of joints to choose.
Where joint strength is not an issue I usually use screws/wood glue combination. To build something stronger, you'd want to use braces/metal brackets or/and maybe botl/nut joint.
2x4 "family" is a rather crippled raw material for woodworking. It's fine for constructing something large where precision and details (and ultimately look) are not an issue. I've actually bilt mixing console desk/rack using 2x4 and 2x6 s exclusively. Sanded and finished it. It turned out to be a straight forward construction with the character of a souna bench :D
You probably can use 2x4s for some parts in your design. So what is the design?
Good luck
/respects

Back