Bugging question about stereo instruments

Reg3n

Hi guys,
i got this bugging noob question about stereo instruments for a while now. :confused: Some instruments have two outputs which is something like this:

L/Mono R

I assume its for stereo. Since I'm using a DAW (yamaha aw16-g) So i get two cables and plug L/Mono to track 1 and R to track 2. Then i pan both track 1 & 2 to max left and right respectively. I didnt get stereo sound.

So i tried buying a cable that has two inputs and merges to one output and i plugged L and R into track 1. Still no stereo sound.

How and I suppose to use the L/Mono and R outputs anyway???
Pls enighten me. :(

I assume stereo effect for example for electronic drums, when the drummer rolls through the 4 toms, some toms will sound like its coming from the left speaker while some toms will sound like its from the right. Hence, stereo.

I think the first order of business is to define what instruments are in question. Like a a keyboard/synth/organ?

For example, if it is a synth, there may be some menu and/or way to select stereo instead of mono (even though this would seem like a design flaw).

On the other hand, are you able to hook a mono instrument to Track 1 and, using headphones, pan it left then right to verify that the issue is indeed the instrument signal chain rather than the DAW...

some sound patches on keyboards that have stereo (left and right) outputs may not be in stereo. For example, it might just be your piano patch that is stereo enabled on your keyboard, while your organ patch for example might not come in stereo on the keyboard.

hmm the instruments that i'm trying is a yamaha S90 syn , a yamaha dtx express drums and a electric guitar through a yamaha digistomp which gives it stereo. But i still cant get it to sound stereo. The daw is fine, have been doing recordings with pan already.

i was thinking maybe the patch might not be stereo too, so i ran through a couple of sounds from the drums and all turned up negative. But lets say if the patches are stereo, the right way to run it would be to L to track 1 and R to track 2 and pan them right? or is it the cable that as two input to one output?

There is a sequence of actions that I would follow.

1 Hookup up L and R outputs of the device to a stereo amp of some sort to confirm that the patch (or patches) is in stereo in the first place.

2 Connetc Land R outputs to tracks 1 and 2 of your mixer (or whichever pair you use), making sure these are panned hard left and right respectively, and monitor the output of the mixer to make sure that the stereo image is still present.

3 Record this, making sure that you have armed a stereo track. Hope for the best.

L and R outputs should deliver a stereo signal. If you only want (or need) a mono signal, then you just plug something into L/Mono (or whichever is marked 'mono'), and that makes sure you get the full signal as mono.

Back